Why Fede Alvarez passed the opportunity to make a MARVEL movie

Home Forums Off Topic Why Fede Alvarez passed the opportunity to make a MARVEL movie

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

The Youtube channel Screen Rant made a visit to the set of Fede Alvarez’s new film Don’t Breathe and asked the director if he was approached by MARVEL to direct a superhero movie. He replied yes but passed out the opportunity since he wasn’t interested in a film that was already set from the get-go. Here’s the full response:

“No. Look. A lot of those movies are cool and audiences are going and watching them. It’s just as a director it’s harder to have your vision in those, if you go and do a Marvel movie… At some point we were in conversations and… they already figured it out. They’ve figured out the style. They’ve figured out the way they shoot them. They’ve figured out the colors, the humor. What would I do? I enjoy a lot more freedom than that. I don’t know. Eventually I might. And it depends on probably the characters in the stories. But just something about my job as a director that I really enjoy is creating my own thing. It’s trying to do my own style when I shoot it and set the tone myself… Evil Dead was a challenge in that aspect.”

Huh… Even despite MARVEL making billions of dollars, he knew that there’s was no risk involve in making a superhero movie since all are forced to follow a straight forward path to the next film. After all, the filmmakers moved to make Civil War cause WB/DC announced Batman V Superman to compete head on (originally, BVS and Civil War were supposed to be released together in May 2016). Now wonder superhero movies are getting dull very quickly.

Link to the article: http://movieweb.com/marvel-movie-director-fede-alvarez-creative-freedom/

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant

Well, kudos to him! Recently there’s a trend going on in Hollywood where they hire successful low budget independent filmmakers to direct movies that cost $150-$200 millions. Because they are inexperienced and don’t have clout, the executives can easily manipulate them. It’s kind of insidious. I think he made the right choice.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Well, kudos to him! Recently there’s a trend going on in Hollywood where they hire successful low budget independent filmmakers to direct movies that cost $150-$200 millions. Because they are inexperienced and don’t have clout, the executives can easily manipulate them. It’s kind of insidious. I think he made the right choice.

Glad I’m not the only one noticing this. This is also happening with another Spider-Man reboot with Homecoming including Jon Watts (director of Clown and Cop Car, 2 films I find to be the most boring uninspired crap I ever had the displeasure to sit through yet he gets to make a Spider-Man movie…. Fucking what) and the writers of the painfully unfunny Vacation reboot film with the only thing going for is the whole “diverse” cast it’s setting up including Flash Thompson as a buly who’s Indian (yay diversity I guess). Seriously, it’s like Hollywood is cashing in on these first time indie directors by giving them bid budgets while letting them die on the jungle without much input in the film and it can really hurt the quality of the movie really bad if they keep doing this scheme to indie directors.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Stuff like this makes me wonder really how much of an effect does a director have on the movie. What if it’s just a plum job, or what if they just get everything handed to them. Seems kind of sad one person tends to get the majority of the glory or infamy for a movie.

This is why I really don’t listen for directors like movie buffs do. It seems almost like there no direct correlation between director & quality. Considering a good director could get tied down with corporate restrictions or a bad director could get everything put into their lap by corporate, the director’s name alone is not enough to get me hyped for a movie.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@Shinra Kuroki Took the words right out of my mouth.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.