What even, my dear Watson…?

Home Forums Off Topic What even, my dear Watson…?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Nat Nat 1 year ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Nat
    Nat
    Participant

I wanna start this post by stating that I have nothing against Emma Watson. What I do take issue with, however, is her role as a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador.

The speech that she gave earlier this year involving sexism and the lack of opportunity given to girls around the world may have set the internet on fire, with #HeforShe being scattered everywhere by everyone, but the thing is, what does Watson really know about any of that? A rich, famous, pretty, white, widely loved and Oxford educated child-star turned woman who spent a few weeks in Zambia is suddenly the spokesperson for underprivileged women around the world? What struggles could she possibly have had to deal with in terms of sexism and inequality? She’s playing a freakin’ Disney Princess!!! I think it’s fair to say you couldn’t get much more out of life.

So yes, Watson can preach about equality and social injustice, but at the end of the day, but does she actually qualify as being the face of Women’s Rights? What do you guys think?

- There was a signature here... it's gone now...

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Whaaaaaaaaaatttt??? B-b-but she’s rich and famous! Surely Emma Watson, a person who despite being a woman has a net worth of $70 million by spending most of her life pretending to be other people, knows the plight of the common woman across cultural epochs! I mean, she’s famous! She’s in movies! Thereby it makes sense to believe that she’s automatically an intellectual superior because I know of that one movie she was in. What would she have to gain by making such claims?
    http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/emma-watson-net-worth/

*end sarcasm over our culture of disgustingly blind celebrity worship*

You’ve learned much, my skeptical young padawan. The anti-authoritarianism is strong in you. }:)

Not to discount that there are certainly still parts of the world where women are still severely marginalized. However, I’m not only skeptical of her abilities, I’m downright cynical about her agenda:

“The 24-year-old invited men to speak up for their ‘daughters, sisters and mothers’, and recalled experiencing sexism at the age of eight when told she was ‘bossy’ for wanting to direct plays, and then at 14 when she was sexualized by the media.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/features/11113545/Emma-Watson-Goodwill-Ambassadors-for-the-UN.html

Oh… You mean to say that you were called “Bossy” (the B-word that was likely the 2nd choice for a similar, failed sexism campaign) and yet you are now a UN Ambassador? You mean to say that you were sexualized (assumingly not IN Harry Potter, but by the fans) and yet that’s largely what led to your $70 million dollar net-worth?

And who DOESN’T the media sexualize????? Surely Justin Bieber was never sexualized. Nor was Robert Pattinson EVER sexualized by millions of adult and adolescent women for being a teenage vampire.

So, she’s really complaining about how SHE became rich and famous, and doesn’t like being called “bossy”. Yet despite it she still achieved celebrity and now a position of Ambassador status?

RICH.
    WHITE.
    LIBERAL.
    GUILT.

To quote a character from the book I’m writing:
    “I’m skeptical enough to ask questions, but cynical enough to know that the answers won’t surprise me…”

A side note: in 8th Grade I was voted “Most Bossy” in my class. No joke. Most Bossy, Most Over-Achieving, Most Artistic. That’s my 8th grade resume.

Yeah, if only I knew that I could have declared myself a victim and turned the word “bossy” into a sex-crime, I could have owned that school.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

RICH.
    WHITE.
    LIBERAL.
    GUILT.

Basically the root of all evil.

A side note: in 8th Grade I was voted “Most Bossy” in my class.

This is your new theme song now (even though it is by a woman):

8th grader LM stands in front of the class

LM: “Yo, you don’t have to love me. Hell, you don’t even have to like me…”

*dons shades*

“But you will respect me. Why? CUZ I’M A BOSS!!”

*drops the mic and walks out like a straight up pimp*

Shit, in high school, I was voted “Most Mysterious”.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Wow, Emma and here I thought you were gonna do great things after Harry Potter ended. When you make Anita Sarkessian look good after this bullshit agenda you pull here, it’s a big ass sign that says “You done fuck it up!” and lose your self respect for all eternity.

For fuck sakes, you’re gonna be Belle in the live action Beauty and the Beast film in 2016. Belle, the best and most well written Disney Princess character in Disney history that makes Elsa from FROZEN shit herself and instead, you’re an “ambassador” to spread some liberal nonsense about how it’s sexist to be called “bossy”. Bitch, please! I’ve been called a fucking pedophile for helping random kids and a “sex offender” for liking Bayonetta.

Look, I’m all for equality but when you start doing shit like this and giving this speech without knowing any of the hardships these girls went through then I would stand down and let someone who KNOWS and UNDERSTANDS this situation better than the other.

God, I am fucking tired of this shit and no one will let this shit die.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

God, I am fucking tired of this shit and no one will let this shit die.

That’s probably what Thomas Jefferson meant by “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty”. You’ll always have some opportunist preying on people’s emotions, relying on their apathy, exploiting fears, and/or driving a bandwagon in order to put themselves into a position of authority.

I’m not accusing of Emma Watson of anything outright nefarious. However, my ‘Cynic-Senses’ are always tingling…

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I don’t like people disqualifying Mrs. Watson over her lived experience. People do not need to be directly affected by something to campaign for it. Straight allies of the LGBT movement definitely demonstrate that fact. It’s an ad hominem attack. Just because she doesn’t have personal experience of real sexism (or has some very benign experiences), doesn’t mean she can’t be a good UN Women Goodwill Ambassador.

What makes her a terrible UN Women Goodwill Ambassador is not trying to reform the obvious problems that are plaguing 3rd wave feminism, which she is painfully aware of. Instead of fixing the “man hating” that feminism is becoming synonymous with, she wants to recruit more men; as if the problem is caused by a lack of men in feminism, not the fact feminism is so hostile to men. When you realize that feminism won’t self evaluate itself, that it won’t take more objective opinions into consideration, that it is actively discouraging take men’s opinions. views, & perspectives into account; the problem is clear. Emma Watson is a terrible UN Women Goodwill Ambassador cause she knows what’s wrong, like every other feminist, but she isn’t willing to enact the labor to fix the real problem, just parrot the current narrative & deny that anything is wrong with the current state of feminism.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

And who DOESN’T the media sexualize????? Surely Justin Bieber was never sexualized. Nor was Robert Pattinson EVER sexualized by millions of adult and adolescent women for being a teenage vampire.

Hey, it wasn’t just “adult and adolescent women” getting hot and bothered over them. Don’t forget that us gay people also sexualize & objectify men. Stop letting us off the hook you heterphobe ^-^ Lol

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

0megablaster
    Participant

wow everyone just went on one hell of a rant.

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I would argue that a criticism of the person’s qualifications is not an ad hominem argument if a person’s merits are actually the topic of the argument, which in my main points it is.

According to the actual UNWomen page:
    “Ms. Watson has been involved in the promotion of girls’ education for several years, and previously visited Bangladesh and Zambia as part of her humanitarian efforts.”
    http://www.unwomen.org/en/partnerships/goodwill-ambassadors/emma-watson

Okay, so she’s actually someone who has visited Zambia and Bangladesh to promote education of girls. I applaud that effort, despite the details perhaps being left a bit vague.

And yet I am remaining skeptical about exactly why Emma Watson specifically was elected the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador. Surely there’s a mountain of similarly qualified people to consider, and yet I personally suspect that the celebrity that comes with Emma Watson has a large part to play in their decisions.

If “Janet Jones of Tuscon, Oklahoma, who spent 10 years educating women in Country-X schools under the looming threat of being put to death” were elected as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, I suspect it wouldn’t have made the tabloids, nor would it have the weight of Emma Watson’s fame and Internet fanbase.

Then the cynic in me simply nods its tired head and says, “Yeah, it’s all a PR stunt to push an agenda via a pretty, popular face.” It’s not much different than having a celebrity endorsement for a brand of shoe or gum.

Now the cynic in me gets fired up and says, “Well, wait a minute. If she has a legion of male fans who (used to) idolize her, then maybe it’ll be easier to get some of them on board with the UN Women agenda?” Same cause-and-effect as having a supermodel eat a cheeseburger. Anyone who finds that supermodel attractive immediately starts wanting a cheeseburger. If you think Emma Watson is attractive, then you might consider her proposals.

And then you are basically back at our twisted, manipulative Celebrity-worshiping culture. We’re genetically hard-wired to let either a pretty face or someone famous tell us what to do, and that’s being exploited in every facet of our daily lives.

“Hear all, trust nothing.” 😉

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Hey, it wasn’t just “adult and adolescent women” getting hot and bothered over them. Don’t forget that us gay people also sexualize & objectify men. Stop letting us off the hook you heterphobe ^-^ Lol

LOL, yes my apologies. I tried to changed my hetero-normative phrasing in my latest lengthy rant simply because you made a genuinely cool point 😀

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

I know this thread is hella old now, but I just saw this pic on my fb feed which was relevant:

Attachments:

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

But he doesn’t have a vagina! That means he is a slandering abusive pig, just like every other man in teh planet!!11!!

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Nat
    Nat
    Participant

Hey look, there’s more!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3482469/I-ve-bottom-slapped-left-room-Emma-Watson-reveals-sexism-suffered-including-followed-home-leered-at.html

(Jeesh, talk about beating a dead horse with this topic XD )

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.