U.S. States in Video Games

Home Forums Off Topic U.S. States in Video Games

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Busy moving so that’s why I’ve been absent…I hate moving…

Anyways, this post was inspired by a recent poll in Game Informer and a forum post on another website on the absence of Montana as a setting in video games.

This got me thinking. It seems like most video games are set in a fictional location or a major city, like New York or Chicago. So I decided to create a list of the states I’ve lived in and what games have taken place there.

California: Well, according to Wikipedia, there are a buttload of games set in Cali. The Police Quest series, GTA: San Andreas, L.A. Noire, and California Games come to mind.

Oklahoma: One Nancy Drew game about a tornado. Fitting since the only thing I remember about Oklahoma were strong winds, taking shelter in closets, and tornado alarms.

Florida: Hotline Miami, GTA: Vice City, Driver. Most games seem to be set in Miami over other areas, like the Florida Panhandle.

Hawaii: Sadly, outside of a few sports games and Lilo and Stitch, there aren’t a lot of notable games set in Hawaii. Kind of a missed opportunity since Hawaii has a lot of beautiful scenery and a blend of unique cultures.

Ohio: Walking Dead: Season 2 (partially?) and some weird erotic comedy game.

Maryland: The Blair Witch trilogy cuz Burkittsville.

I have come to the conclusion that most games set in America take place in California possibly due to the large presence of the video game industry in the state. Out of any U.S. state, I would pick Hawaii for reasons stated above. I see a lot of potential with Hawaii and I have some ideas for potential games 😉 I believe that with a compelling story and great characters, any location can be a good setting.

IDK what U.S. state (or any other location) do you think would make an interesting setting for a video game?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

París, the city of lights.

I don’t know how popular videogames are there, but the overall scenery and atmosphere of the city is amazing, and I believe it would be a very great setting for a videogame.

We already got to see París in the past (Assassin’s Creed Unity), we got to see it in the middle of a bloody war (Call of Duty MW3), and we got to see a spectacular future París (Remember Me). Whenever a game is set on París, I’m always excited to see what they’ve come up with.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Seen a lot of films that take place in Paris but I do not know many games that have the city as the main setting.

I think gaming is fairly popular in France. I mean, Ubisoft is there…

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.