The tiresome narrative correlating gun violence and video games

Home Forums Off Topic The tiresome narrative correlating gun violence and video games

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/how-video-gamers-and-the-industry-at-e3-addressed-the-orlando-shooting-or-didnt-7049126

With the recent tragedy in Orlando, another gun control debate has ignited. Some media commentators and politicians believe there is a correlation between gun violence and video games, citing that violent video games contribute to a lack of empathy and sexism.

While I believe the media we consume impacts us on some level, I am skeptical it is the sole cause for gun violence (besides correlation does not indicate causation). In the context of the Orlando shooting, there were other factors involved. The most infamous media scare came on the heels of Columbine and it’s known that Harris and Klebold had mental issues to begin with. They didn’t turn bad from playing too much Doom. Despite doing my own research in the past and not finding any hard evidence that violent video games causes real-world violence, I still encourage people to conduct their own studies.

It’s just frustrating because fiction is a (often times) dark reflection on the goings-on in society. Take Game of Thrones of example. People get mad about the violence and rape but that shit happened in the past and still happens today in our world. If stuff (like violence/sex) happens everyday, why can’t creators portray it?

On a side note (from something I’ve noticed over the years), I am tired of gun-owners being painted as nut-wing, ignorant, trigger-happy loons. I have friends/family members who own firearms for hunting and safety reasons. Guess what? They’re normal people like everyone else. Some live in rural, isolated places where it is smart to have a gun anyway b/c it takes police a while to get to the scene (when they do arrive, it’s to pick your dead body off the floor anyway). I have fired guns and it is a lot different than shooting an NPC in a game. People need to understand that gun ownership is a huge responsibility. I think if people took a gun safety/handling class, it could negate some fears about firearms.

But I’m not going to force others to handle/own guns. It’s a free country after all yet I’ve been labeled a “sociopath” in the past because I professed I would not hesitate to shoot someone that was threatening the safety of myself and friends/family.

I mean it’s not like politicians and celebrities have armed guards in their employ. Right?

Sorry if this seemed like a political rant but it is what it is.

Anyways, what do you guys think about the media conflating real-world gun violence with fictional violence? Are you sick of it or do you think its a necessary conversation?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

I personally think that these people are just using tragedies and killings to promote the ideas that videogames cause violence because they don’t want to do actual research and they’re looking for a scapegoat for their own mistakes. They can’t accept that guns and gun-owning are things that are uncontrollable (because let’s be honest, anyone in the world can get a gun), so in order to appease people, they say that there’s reasons why people are aggressive and that they should pick them to finish killings.

The “videogames are a cause of violence” is the most ridiculous argument I’ve ever heard and it’s one of the most sickening to hear, why? Let’s ask ourselves these questions:

Did Call of Duty start the IS rise to power?
    Did Crash Bandicoot start the Vietnam War?
    Did Mario cause WWII?
    Did Galaga spark the Napoleonic Wars?
    Could’ve Halo begun the American Revolution?
    Was the Franco-Prussian war a result of Dance Dance Revolution being created?

OF COURSE NOT, and the most ironic thing is that as tumultuous as today is with the IS, terrorist attacks, the cartels, kidnappings, rapists and the situation on Turkey; we’re living in what could be the most peaceful era mankind has seen in thousands of years, and one of the most innovative creations of our era are video games. I personally don’t think that videogames cause violence, because violence is one of the oldest human traits there are; and violence will always exist, even if videogames suddenly disappear.

I do not want to offend anyone with what I will say, but I think that the main cause of the Orlando Shootings were the targets themselves. Not that they did anything to offend anyone, but being a homosexual has been a cause of violence in the last decades. All the stigma attached from religion, “morality” and the iconic “it’s just not natural” way of thinking has made the homosexual community a target for many hate groups, including radical muslims. The problem is the way of thinking of the killers, not what they play.

Another factor for violence that I can think of is the weight of life itself, because let’s be honest: life is a nasty bag o’ shit. Mortgages, car payments, bills, medical bills, work deadlines, food and water expenses; it can take a toll on someone. If I were desperate enough, I’m sure I would probably kill someone just to stay under a roof.

As for gun-control, I don’t really know what side I would choose, because there are very valid reasons why people should get guns: It’s a dangerous world out there, police and military can’t answer that quickly and you need something to protect your family; but on the other hand, there are valid reasons why people shouldn’t get guns: ANYONE can get them (Anyone including psychopaths, muggers, mentally ill people, easily angered people), it would be more easy for criminal groups to acquire resources and by allowing people to buy guns, they’re open to the hands of children. It is a very complex issue which I don’t think has a simple answer, and I do believe people need to talk about what to do about the situation.

People get mad about the violence and rape but that shit happened in the past and still happens today in our world. If stuff (like violence/sex) happens everyday, why can’t creators portray it?

Because people don’t want to deal with real life in the world of fiction. People are afraid of the real world: disease, murder, mayhem, hate, death, and pain. That’s why people play videogames, to escape reality. Though including things as rape, murder and sex in a fictional universe creates a more realistic, and in the act, a more relatable world; there will be people who are angry because they’re not allowed in the real world, and they think that exposure to these things is harming. They’re enclosed in their own little world and they’re afraid of coming out because of all the “nasty, icky” things.

I think I stretched myself a bit but what I’m trying to say is that real-world gun violence is a problem, and we should stick to finding out the true source of it instead of searching why something should be the source.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I do not want to offend anyone with what I will say, but I think that the main cause of the Orlando Shootings were the targets themselves. Not that they did anything to offend anyone, but being a homosexual has been a cause of violence in the last decades. All the stigma attached from religion, “morality” and the iconic “it’s just not natural” way of thinking has made the homosexual community a target for many hate groups, including radical muslims. The problem is the way of thinking of the killers, not what they play.

^This yet the media is shying away from this.

As for gun-control, I don’t really know what side I would choose, because there are very valid reasons why people should get guns: It’s a dangerous world out there, police and military can’t answer that quickly and you need something to protect your family; but on the other hand, there are valid reasons why people shouldn’t get guns: ANYONE can get them (Anyone including psychopaths, muggers, mentally ill people, easily angered people), it would be more easy for criminal groups to acquire resources and by allowing people to buy guns, they’re open to the hands of children. It is a very complex issue which I don’t think has a simple answer, and I do believe people need to talk about what to do about the situation.

Yeah it’s very complex. Even with controls in place, people slip through the cracks. The Columbine shooters gave money to their 18+ friends to purchase guns for them. To my knowledge, the only thing they bought themselves were bullets. Also, the black market exists. A house (belonging to a cop no less) on my block was burglarized with jewelry and guns stolen. Criminals can always get hands on weapons due to theft and fencing deals.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Criminals can always get hands on weapons due to theft and fencing deals.

Just like I said, people cannot control who can get a gun and who can’t. Once an item is on a market, it can’t be controlled. The closest thing that comes to control is setting the prices, but even with guns having very high prices, anyone can get them if they have the money.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

As I mentioned during the CCS meet ups, I worked at a morgue for four months (thereabouts) and I’ve handled my share of shooting victims, the (tragically) vast majority intentionally self-inflicted. Believe me when I say that video games far from portray the end results of ballistic trauma to a human body—usually due to engine limitations but more than likely because dropping a load of 00 Buck into a mook’s brainpan has about the same outcome as throwing a firecracker into a bowl of chunky salsa. Keep that in mind next time you’re in the mood for Mexican cuisine.

With rare exceptions (Killing Floor 2) most games shy away from overly realistic portrayals of the end result of a shootout, or even how guns function and just how delicate they are as operating machines (Far Cry 2, Escape From Tatkov). Guns are made up of many moving typically small moving parts; they jam, misfire, lock up, and plain stop working for any number of reasons. Guns are like any other machine, they need regular and thorough maintenance—unless you’re toting an AK derivative, in which case you can through it in your dishwasher for a cycle and let it dry in the sun. No I’m not kidding, Mikhail Kalashnikov didn’t fuck around building the AK.

What happened in Orlando was the end result of hate groups and disidents vilifying and dehumanizing a outspeaking community of people that want their rights and freedoms recognized, conducted by a closeted homosexual raised under an ideaology wherein homosexuality is treated as evil, in the name of an organization he likely only paid lip service to. But what’s ISIS’ stake here? My thinking is that ISIS cells in the US (let’s be realistic) are using the US’s unique relationship with firearms to carry out these shootings in an attempt to disarm non-military personnel and make a large-scale attack more devastating. Our leaders on the other hand are split between feuding conservatives and liberals battling against regressive left nutjobs in sisyphusian debate—the later of which don’t want guns banned for OUR safety, but THEIRS.

It’s another shit show that won’t amount to anything because the public at large (us) are terrified (again) and want our security blanket (again) so we can feel safe and protected (again) in a world that is very mean and very cruel. I hate the use of the term “sheeple” but…

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Our leaders on the other hand are split between feuding conservatives and liberals battling against regressive left nutjobs in sisyphusian debate—the later of which don’t want guns banned for OUR safety, but THEIRS.

It’s another shit show that won’t amount to anything because the public at large (us) are terrified (again) and want our security blanket (again) so we can feel safe and protected (again) in a world that is very mean and very cruel. I hate the use of the term “sheeple” but…

Yeah, it’s a perpetual standoff and honestly, terrorists will use anything against soft targets from bullets to pressure-cookers.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.