The Society of Low Expectations

Home Forums Off Topic The Society of Low Expectations

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by V-Tundra V-Tundra 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

So I just watched an opening to SNL where the main joke was an older male celebrity tried to explain to a younger female comedian about the things he learned while working in Hollywood for so long & she she to “Not mansplain things to her”. He said she needed to “Man hear it” & then she broke into dance, singing some Beyonce song. I then turned off the TV and concluded that comedy is dead & that it died of cancer… and since feminism is cancer, by the Transitive Property, comedy died of feminism.

So what does mansplainning have to do with today’s topic? I’ll get into that as soon as I explain what a Society of Low Expectations is. Have you ever have a grammar troll correct one of your posts & you got mad for getting corrected? Well, you now never have to feel that way ever again thanks to the society of low expectations. Here’s the Faustian deal: You never correct anyone else in the world for anything, & you don’t get corrected by other people. It’s not your place to correct others & it’s not there place to correct you, obviously, says stupid people too insecure to be corrected about anything. It’s a mass delusion made by special snowflakes under the premise of being nice to others, but it actually just a way for them to avoid their own mistakes & insecurities.

This society of low expectations manifests it’s in many ways. The word “mansplaining” is one such instance. When a man attempts to corrects a women & is wrong, he’s called an idiot. When a man attempts to corrects a women & is right, he’s accursed of mansplaining. “Manspaining” is a sexist way to shame people (usually men) for correcting women, even though everything they said was factually right. Why do we not want women to be corrected by men? Sexism, but also the fact we don’t want women to get their feelings hurt. We rather have women out proclaiming falsehoods & woozles than have their fragile egos bruised.

It also shows up in other areas, like how the Cosplay community is trying to make it taboo to critique another cosplayer’s cosplay. Yeah, don’t call people sell outs if they’re wearing a store bought costume. Don’t tell people they did wrong stitching. Don’t tell people their cosplay is inaccurate to the character. Somehow they want everyone to act like all cosplay is equal, despite the drastic difference in skill & effort. Just remember, never say anything critical cause you might hurt someone’s feelings & drive them out of cosplay forever since they can’t deal with people saying anything negative about their cosplay.

Another area it has spread to is a topic close to my heart, foreign language. Now people want you to not point out non-native speaker’s mistakes, for the same lame reasons I made out in the last paragraph. This is awful advice considering those corrections are what will help them become more fluent & not correcting them is just going to make them learn the language wrong. The reason this topic is near to my heart is because when I learned Japanese, my Sensei would laugh out loud whenever a student made a huge mistake, especially when they said something really weird or stupid. I found this to be really important, since people would try harder to avoid being made a fool of. It was also good experience to learn resolve & composure. Speaking in a foreign language, mistakes are inevitable. If you want to use a foreign language in the real world, you run the risk of making a fool of yourself (the same could be said of any action). If you’re going to use what you learned in the class room in the real world, you’re going to need the confidence to try, the resolve keep trying even when you mess up, and the composure not to make a scene when you do mess up.

Failure is an inevitable result from trying. Instead of looking at it as you’re enemy, you should see it as a teacher. These proponents of a society of low expectations see failure as worthless & harmful. They think people are too fragile to deal with set backs, criticism, & competition. They believe everyone can be happier if we all fall under their mass delusion. They don’t believe in taking on the challenge of self actualization & that it’s not even an inherent drive of humans to try to do so. People are not happy being weak, stupid, & incapable. Their solution is to stop thinking about it. The correct choice is to keep trying to become better than your former self & to strive for your own personal best. Expect the exceptional of others, not the very least.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Complacency breeds sub-par results which bring innovation to a stale death.

It’s part of the human experience to struggle and people seem to have an innate nature to better one’s self and society.

Why do we deny this?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

Just wanted to drop by and say that I thoroughly enjoyed this post. In fact, this is the kind of content I’d like to see more of on our forums. We’ve already had some great, insightful discussions with our fans in the last couple of Patreon Livestreams. But for those who cannot attend those, there’s always the forums. :]

Anyway. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s noticing the ever-growing decadence of Western society. It’s not quite Rome in the final days of its empire, but we’re slowly getting there. Everywhere I look actual merit and a drive to improve oneself is being frowned upon, if not even ridiculed. Meanwhile, ignorance, gluttony, and indolence are seem as the norm.

Niche’s slave mentality comes to mind here. “Oh, you wanna make something of yourself? Fuck you, get back in line with the rest of us!” And if you try to level with people and encourage them to become the best versions of themselves possible, you’re painted as some sort of elitist — a snob.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I just thought of this scene from the Boondocks (oh, how I miss you).

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Good line from The Incredibles too 🙂

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

<iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/8gXCCBmTvBI?feature=oembed” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Good line from The Incredibles too 🙂

That was so perfect.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

I gotta applaud you, Shinra; because this post was solid good. And it is a shame on what’s going on, people are afraid of being corrected and they’re afraid of mistakes; so in order not to break their oh-so-fragile-tiny-hearts, let’s block all forms of criticism and appease them and praise them! Yeah, forget that making mistakes is the only way to learn not to do them, forget about that annoying feed known as “feedback”, we’ve got to praise things, dammit!

This sort of reminds of how in both gaming and film media, whenever something new is coming and there’s people who express a distaste or say that they’re doing something wrong, they’re branded as “haeters” and “don jugge becuz u wil laik et uen it cums otu”. You won’t believe how many hate comments I’ve received only because I stated that the new CoD doesn’t look aesthetically different from past releases and that I’m concerned about Doctor Strange because the director has a very horrible reputation.

But again, who cares about criticism and feedback? What have those 2 ever done to help mankind’s progress?

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.