The Great Wall trailer + Whitewashing Controversy (again!)

Home Forums Off Topic The Great Wall trailer + Whitewashing Controversy (again!)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Universal & Legendary has finally dropped the trailer for the long awaited collaboration project with America & China called The Great Wall, a 3D action film directed by Zhing Yimou of Fearless, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Curse of the Golden Flower and worked with Ang Lee in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon fame starring Matt Damon as a soldier brought to China as he must fight alongside soldiers to protect the wall from a dangerous force. The film took 20 years to get off the ground with John Woo supposedly set to make the movie but backed out due to being too ambitious and Zhang Yimou only came on board with the project because the production team was big enough for him to handle the project to an ambitious scale and seeing how Legendary is well known for being very ambitious with their projects including their sequels, it makes sense to have a damn big crew to pull off the scale of the project like this one. Instead, The Great Wall is getting lambasted by people jumping on the whitewashing bandwagon cause despite presenting as many facts to their faces, they would rather get pissy and cry in the corner rather than do basic research as to why minorities don’t get much work like white male or female actors do.

Constance Wu Bashes Matt Damon’s Great Wall For Whitewashing Controvresy

A few hours ago, actress Constance Wu from the show Fresh Off The Boat took to Twitter to express her concern over the film that’s supposedly portraying Matt Damon as China’s “white-savior” for the film. Here is her response she posted on Twitter (This is her full response in case you want to read it):

“We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that only a white man can save the world. It’s not based in actual fact. Our heroes don’t look like Matt Damon. They look like Malala. (Gandhi). Mandela. Your big sister when she stood up for you to those bullies that one time.”

You know what? I just wanna be straight with you and explain why this whole backlash that The Great Wall is receiving is really asinine cause really, Wu is just seeking attention to the public just because she stars in a show with a full Asian cast that play a bunch of stereotypes yet people praise your show cause “OMG! Asians are in the show! Win-win!” (Oops, my cynical side slipped). First off, the movie not only isn’t out yet but it is not a “Matt Damon will save us cause he is our white savior” film. Instead, it is about a warrior from the US sent to China to assist the soldiers to fend off the forces from the wall because that is his job: To assist other soldiers from different nations to fend off armies and I am no soldier expert but I’m pretty sure if some general from Iraq, France or Japan needed my aid regardless what soldier I am, I would assist them in anyway possible to either save comrades. share my advices for soldiers in case they need new strategies to take back the battlefield or win wars. Second, you say the entire cast is filled with whitewashing yet you barely bothered to check the cast cause from what I found is the cast revolves around a lot of chinese actors who either worked in China’s film industries or with the director for a long time with only 3 American actors in the role while having one actor who’s Chilean mind you. Not to mention, Matt Damon, William Defoe and Mackenzie Kay were chosen by the director because of one obvious thing when it comes to Hollywood films: Big star actors bring in the bucks and since there’s not a lot of recognition for actors or actresses outside of the US, executives won’t bother funding your film unless they get a big superstar to star in your film (The 90’s animated film Cat’s Don’t Dance touched upon this subject very well) and it is a dangerous risk to put a first time actor in a project like this cause if it bombs, it would mean Hollywood will still continue to rely on big celebrities instead of allowing a new generation of actors or actresses to carry the legacy of other actors. Another note I like to add is Zhang Yimou chose Matt Damon as the lead cause not only it may lead to win back money form it’s hefty $160 million dollar budget they spend on making the film (meaning this is the most expensive collaborative American & Chinese movie to date) but he hopes that The Great Wall can expose the many talented individuals that worked their asses off to bring this project into fruition and can lead to audiences getting exposed to more films from not only the director but from other countries like China or maybe even Japan to an extent.

Lastly, the controversy is very meaningless cause while I understand the lack of diversity of actors/actresses in Hollywood and how minorities do deserve to have as much recognition as any actor or actress, the fact that throwing the terms of “racism” or “whitewashing” at a trailer for a movie that’s not even out yet just because a male or female lead is “white” without looking up the facts or research that said project is fucking pathetic. You’re just ignoring the many talented individuals just doing their best to get their projects made and bash it for the sake of earning points to the progressive side of society including the controversy of Ghost In The Shell when Scarlett was cast as The Major during the image dropping in the social media sites while SJW’s got pissy over nothing. You want more diversity & equality in Hollywood? Then challenge them into bringing diversity for the sake of hiring new talent, not to pander to mindless sheep going all “BAAAH!! BRING DIVERSITY TO LOOK GOOD ON NATIONAL NEWS!!! BAAAAAAHHHH!!!”. Hell, if Marjane Satrapi, a woman raised in Israel, can become a filmmaker and make movies like Persepolis & The Voices staring Deadpool himself Ryan Reynold then what’s stopping you from getting more individuals that want to make entertaining works of fiction because they have a passion for the medium. Next time, Wu, research the facts, think about what you’re gonna say and come up with a valuable to say instead of guilt-tripping your followers to agree to your world view. Darth Theo, a user member on Movieweb, nailed the problem with her Tweet with this response he posted on the news article:

“Here’s my problem with this point … it is ONLY ever a problem when the character is played by a white person. If you were to say caste a black person to play Bill Clinton in a movie, there wouldn’t be as much (if any real) outrage.

If I made a movie and had Joan of Arc played by a black woman, do you think it would get as recognized as an issue? To use another example, people lost their minds seeing Scarlett Johansson in Ghost in a Shell because the character is Asian … but the same people praised the announcement that the Full Metal Alchemist movie will have a full Japanese cast despite the source material having the characters based off Europeans.

Sorry, be consistent in your view.”

BEST. COMEBACK. POST. EVER.

As for my thoughts on the trailer. it looks really freaking badass and to see a martial arts director like Zhang Yimou tackling an ambitious project like this could be a very exciting experience to watch in IMAX 3D (just thinking about it makes me squeal!). Not to mention they got a lot of talented writers working on the film like Tony Gilroy and Edward Zwick working on the story/script while the camera work for the action looks very impressive so far. I will be definitely be seeing the movie next year!

So guys, are you looking forward to see The Great Wall in IMAX 3D despite it’s controversy right now?

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Regarding the show she stars in, I’m referring more to the way the show was marketed when I watched the promo and I apologize for not making it clearer on my comment. Maybe the show is good but for the love of god, people should really stop complaining about the damn issue and actually do something to overhaul the Hollywood system.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Zhang Yamou drops the mic on Constance Wu’s bullshit tweet. Nicely done!

Attachments:

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

Well would you look at that, a little context. The Mic has indeed been dropped. Between this and Eidos pushing back against the comments against the “Aug Lives Matter” Nontroversy I hope this becomes a trend.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Well would you look at that, a little context. The Mic has indeed been dropped. Between this and Eidos pushing back against the comments against the “Aug Lives Matter” Nontroversy I hope this becomes a trend.

You and me both cause I’m getting sick of these celebrities playing themselves as victims or jumping on the whitewashing trend rather than fixing the damn problem.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Memes (Darwinian ideas, not the internet version of memes) are only so powerful. Culture controls the media, not the other way around. SJWs think they can co-opt every form of entertainment and turn it into their own personal propaganda mill. Man, I would hate to be one of them, their only accomplishments are failed movies, speech codes that will be over turned, and other such projects doomed to failure in the free market (which gives them cause to over throw it, but I doubt they will ever come close to that).

The biggest obstacle between SJWs and everything they want is reality. That’s a pretty big hurdle to over come. Some have over came it, but only for a short period of time. The problem with fighting against reality is that it is still there after you choose not to believe in it. A mass delusion can only be sustained for as long as the truth doesn’t knock on it’s door & destroy it completely.

Like most SJW causes, the push for forced diversity in EVERYTHING, is never going to take root, even if by some miracle they get it planted into the social consciousness. You can’t fight meritocracy, it’ll always win in the end because it just works.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@Jakob Morris Anyway, what you think of the film based on the trailer?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.