The BIG YouTube Rumor

Home Forums Off Topic The BIG YouTube Rumor

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

0megablaster
    Participant

Okay. So there is a rumor going around saying that YouTube is going to add in some new rules to its Terms of Service to shut down videos and channels that could be considered bullying. So Troll channels, Prank videos and a bunch of other stuff will probably be effected by this. No one really knows much for sure because no one can find anything on this. Which means YouTube is trying to keep it on the down low.

What do you guys think about this whole thing? Do you think this rumor may be true? Or do you think it’s too soon to say for sure?

This whole thing may change how YouTube works as a whole so this might be interesting to see.

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Facebook Ban Free Speech College Comic

After Twitter and allegedly Facebook have fallen to the speech fascists, it wouldn’t surprise me that YT would be the next target. Not to pull a Godwin’s Law, but the PC “Feelz” Nazis, these weak, sheltered, impressional, and fragile CHILDREN, have gained ground unopposed on various social media sites, and now they’re blitzkreiging westward to YT for the sake of their immediate feelings and not the long-lasting authoritarian effects of such a movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=537wyCW5aAQ

I apologize for my recent political RANTS, but, like many CLASSICALLY LIBERAL minded figures (Voltaire, anyone?), I can’t hold my tongue on the matter. I’m a true believer that reason and logic will win over whatever anyone says, so why ban trolls, pranks, or whatever falls under the very broad and undefined umbrella term “hate speech”?

In the wise words of Tyrion Lannister of Game of Thrones:

0megablaster
    Participant

Valid point LaughingMan. So you think that the Rumor might be true? I’m still a little skeptical but knowing how things have gone in the past I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened.

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

I wonder if youtubers like Thunderf00t or the Honeybadger will fall under that umbrella of hate speech.

0megablaster
    Participant

That’s what everyone is worried about. No one really knows what YouTube is going to consider Hate speech or “Bullying”

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I wonder if youtubers like Thunderf00t or the Honeybadger will fall under that umbrella of hate speech.

That’s honestly what I’m concerned about: When a vocal minority of people will not like what someone says, and will try to censor dissonance rather than offer reason and logic. Hell, I think that Anita Sarkeesian should be able to say whatever she wants to on YT and NOT be banned. But people deserve to have a chance to retort when these people spout rhetoric and propaganda. However, it’s usually those who don’t have a leg to stand on in the face of such logic that they turn around and demand that opponents be censored.

Like Obama said recently:

“Don’t try to shut folks out, don’t try to shut them down, no matter how much you might disagree with them. There’s been a trend around the country of trying to get colleges to disinvite speakers with a different point of view, or disrupt a politician’s rally. Don’t do that — no matter how ridiculous or offensive you might find the things that come out of their mouths. Because as my grandmother used to tell me, every time a fool speaks, they are just advertising their own ignorance. Let them talk. Let them talk. If you don’t, you just make them a victim, and then they can avoid accountability.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t challenge them. Have the confidence to challenge them, the confidence in the rightness of your position. There will be times when you shouldn’t compromise your core values, your integrity, and you will have the responsibility to speak up in the face of injustice.

But listen. Engage. If the other side has a point, learn from them. If they’re wrong, rebut them. Teach them. Beat them on the battlefield of ideas. And you might as well start practicing now, because one thing I can guarantee you — you will have to deal with ignorance, hatred, racism, foolishness, trifling folks. (Laughter.) I promise you, you will have to deal with all that at every stage of your life. That may not seem fair, but life has never been completely fair. Nobody promised you a crystal stair. And if you want to make life fair, then you’ve got to start with the world as it is.”

Quoted For Truth

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

(Trying to get a bit of humor on the topic)

Does anyone remember the time when our grandfathers took rifles in WWII and faced death in the face and now people are getting depressed and upset just because they’re called the same thing thousands or even millions of people are called everyday throughout the internet?

I think this is another symptom that the issue of cyber-bullying is getting blown more and more out of proportion each passing day. And with all the shit that’s happened with YouTube (#WTFU), I don’t see why anyone shouldn’t be concerned about these sorts of rumors. It’s like LM says, it’s what happens when close-minded people want to be voiced but don’t want different opinionS to be voiced. “It has to be about ME, and if I don’t like what these people are saying, you should do what I tell you because it’s ME”.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I think YT will be fine. They make their money off ads so they don’t want to do anything that will lower the number of videos watched. Deleting popular channels is hard for them to justify than FB or Twitter being censorship happy idiots. Every channel lost is lost revenue they’re not getting. They feel every account that leaves.

I hope a new social media site shows up soon to take down Facebook. I really just want to delete my FB like yesterday, but then I would lose contact with a few friends.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.