Super Mario Maker (2 Part Review)!

Home Forums Off Topic Super Mario Maker (2 Part Review)!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Super Mario Maker. Just saying the title alone will give the Mario fanbase orgasms that will last for decades alone. Originally a Mario Paint Wii U game before turning it into a simple maker tool for the console, Takashi Tezuka and the team realize the potential of a true Mario Maker game that could impact the Wii U Gamepad function and thus, the game is born. So far, the game has been getting huge critical acclaim with many reviewers praising the creative elements of making unique levels and sharing the levels with other players and this is where I come in cause I’ve been playing Super Mario Maker for the past 6 days (34 hours or so) and honestly, this is how I reacted when I created my first level:

……………. That is so wrong yet accurate.

(AHEM!!) Sorry. To get back on the review, here’s how the game works: Super Mario Maker is a game that allows you to create the craziest, imaginative and wildest Mario levels of your dreams by mixing the different enemies and traps into your Wii U Gamepad while playing in the styles of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and “NEW” Super Mario Bros. U with each style having different jump and movement physics that is required for you to test every game style in order to achieve your dream level. You can also add in sound effects and make music by adding the Music Blocks that match the rhythm of a popular song (similar to Mario Paint) and add laughter, party music effect or baby sounds to enemies or items. You can also upload your courses for other players to see but you must beat the level in order for your level to be uploaded and you can follow or play courses from other people from around the world including levels that are made by professional game designers like the game designer that worked on Rayman Legends (I want to play his level!) or one that I heard was made by Reggie Fils Aime and Shigeru Miyamoto himself.

Honestly, I’m bone shattered at Mario Maker cause quite frankly, it is the best near perfect Mario game to ever come out on a Nintendo console. It even beats Super Mario 64 in comparison alone. First off, the Wii U Gamepad works perfectly in the game. The stylus is very easy to use when making the ground, putting objects or enemies while shaking it to your advantage and when you test the level, the controls work wonders when playing any of the Mario styles of gameplay with the jumping and movement feeling modern but faithful to the play-style of past Mario games. Also, the ability to play your level to upload it to Course World is a great way to tone down the obligatory “troll” levels that are mostly common in level creator games and it’s a feature that I really do support. Also, while many reviewers got angry at the whole “beginning the game with everything locked and must play the game for 9 days to unlock more stuff” idea, I do appreciate that you start with 2 Mario game styles and lesser items cause it allows the player to try and get used to the immense level editing of the game because if you throw everything unlocked at the player, the player himself would get overwhelmed with too much going on the objects and enemies with a lack of focus or idea on what level he or she wants to make. So far, Nintendo fixed it and now you need to play only five minutes of the game in order to unlock more and more stuff, so at least it’s easier now instead of turning the clock like I did. Plus, with the level creation tool at your disposal, it allows the player to use only their imagination and that’s the biggest strength of Super Mario Maker: Fun and imagination. It’s up to the player himself to make the best Mario level possible and we have the ability to play said courses to discover how crazy or intense it could be while also putting our Mario game skills to the test. Want to test your wall jump skills of Super Mario Bros. Wii U? No worries, there’s a Super Meat Boy like stage that will make your thumbs bleed to death! Wanna go crazy on unbeatable levels? There’s plenty of those around and plus, stages of pure magical nostalgic breeze. Also, the game looks and sounds gorgeous with many of the sprites re-created from the ground up while having funny little touches that are references to other Mario Games like when the you leave the level editor on while touching nothing on the screen, 3 flies will appear and if you kill them, you get to play the mini-game of killing flies from Mario Paint or messing around the letters in the Super Mario Maker title screen will have different effects. It’s these small touches that makes the game have a lot of charm and seeing 2 yellow dudes doing sit-ups in the loading screen of Course World is just adorable. Speaking of Course World, this is another worthy addition to the game for those who don’t generally like making levels. Like I said earlier in the review, Course World allows you to play levels made by other people while having the ability to follow certain creators that you admire to play upcoming new levels via the Notifications. There’s also the 10X and 100X Mario challenge that let’s you play all the levels of players and the staff from the game to get comfortable on the mechanics of the level editor and the feeling of playing a Mario game for those who never grew up or played Mario, which is an excellent addition to the game itself. With all these praises that I’m throwing at the game, there’s no way that the game could fail bad at some mechanics right??…… RIGHT?!

You son of a bitch…

To be fair, I did say “near” perfect in the beginning, so it was kinda obvious from the start and there are a few things that almost made the game perfect in my opinion. First off, the Amiibo functionality is mixed. For starters, you can use an Amiibo you own by placing it into the Gamepad and alas, you can play that Amiibo in costume in fully 8-bit glory. That’s pretty much it though and sadly, it doesn’t offer any type of gameplay variety into the mix, which is a shame because there’s potential for further gameplay ideas for Amiibos in Super Mario Maker like if you use the Bowser Amiibo and it grants you the ability to stomp on the ground causing the level to shake intensely while enemies get annihilated or the Shulk Amiibo with the ability to slash your ways with the blade or with Peach Amiibo by jumping with your parasol and killing your enemies with your ass… What? It’s hilarious and when playing an Amiibo, the jumping and movement physics would not only be different but it would add, once again, depth to the gameplay creation of the game. Also, no multi-player options? Why? this game begs for 2 Player and 4 player modes because I don’t know, it’s freaking Mario! Getting rid of the multi-player aspect of the game is really unfair and could have easily been incorporated into the game like 2 players working together on a co-op created level or 2 or 4 players testing out the created levels. Also, I wish there was more customization on the levels themselves like being able to change the colors and backgrounds of certain popular levels since as much as I like playing the old levels layouts, I do want my levels to stand out amongst the rest of other created levels. Another thing is to be prepared for repetitiveness with some levels that are just there to be “cool and hip” with no substance like the annoying “IMPOZZZIBLE LEVEL” levels that’s just an excuse to throw random enemies or just for the players themselves to get unwanted attention but no worries, there are more good levels than these ones but you just need to find and look hard enough to find it… By writing a 16 Course ID code in the search filter. Yep, I hate this too and once you use it, you will know why.

On the whole, Super Mario Maker is an addicting game that truly pushes the limits of Mario level creator insanity to new heights and serves not only as a love letter to this legendary franchise but this game can become a phenomenon where it allows players to become game designers themselves and thus, granting them a possible future in working on the video game industry. As for those who want to join in and play this game, it’s up to you on how much will you spend time with Super Mario Maker. If you’re a big Mario fan and this has been your dream game since childhood then it’s for you but for those who never played a Mario game, it’s gonna be hard to get familiar with the different styles but once you play for a while, you will get to experience the platforming goodness that is Mario and still have a blast creating levels or playing other people’s levels. Let’s hope that Super Mario Maker can make big sales for the company and unleash a new IP that would be called “The Maker Series” with tons of games with the potential of levels creator goodness.

SUPER MARIO MAKER: 4 OUT OF 5

Stay tuned for Part 2: Improvements and Additions for SUPER MARIO MAKER DLC and Free Updates!

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

PART 2: IMPROVEMENTS AND ADDITIONS FOR SUPER MARIO MAKER DLC AND FREE UPDATES!

Hello again and welcome to the second part of my review in which I will talk about the necessary stuff the game needs to become even better than it’s original release and it’s gonna be very long but hey, that’s the point when discussing ideas for further improvements because apparently, the Nintendo forums at GT, IGN or Gamespot are filled with whinny obsessed idiots that bitch about Nintendo not getting “the Internet” instead of talking to each other about how to further improve gameplay experiences (Geez, I get that Nintendo is still trying to learn online but chill the fuck down). Let’s start with additions for future Super Mario Maker DLC content!!

1. Add Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario All-Stars game skins and styles into the level editor:

YES AND YES!!! This needs to be in Super Mario Maker so bad! For those who don’t know, Super Mario Bros 2 is an underrated gem that let’s you play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and Toad in a lot of dream-like levels that are far challenging than the original with each character having different abilities to master while Super Mario All-Stars is a collection of all 3 Mario games including the never released Lost Levels pack in Japan but fully remade into 16-bit graphics and sound for Super NES and it is the best HD collection on the Super NES library before HD collections were cool. Adding SMB 2 and Super Mario All-Stars into the mix would allow the creators to fully toy with new objects and enemies from these 2 new game styles into the mix like how awesome would it be if you mix Bowser with the evil bastard sun from SMB 3? A boss battle like that is gonna work wonders if you execute right that is. Also, it expands the game styles into 8 instead of 4, so more bang for our buck!

2. Bring multiplayer options and modes for Level Editor and Course World:

It’s a no brainer and I already talked about this on my review but might as well talk about it a bit more. Adding multiplayer components to Mario Maker would expand the content of the game for players or creators to make or play levels together. For Course World, I would add a mode called Stage Maker, a mode that allows 2 level creators with Wii U Gamepads to work together on a level that could be completed with one player, 2 players or 4 players at once depending on the game style the creators use. Another mode that would be perfect is Rival Course, a mode that allows up to 2-4 players (again, depending on which Mario game style the creators use) to compete with each other in challenging course designed by many creators while Tournament Course is a mode similar to Rival Course but with more player while other players who join in can become Spectators and watch the challenge while waiting for their turn to compete (the winner stays and the loser has to go with a new player coming in every time a player loses in a course. It’s like the Smash Bros. DLC mode Tourney in that sort of way and allowing players to create specially designed tournaments to win big prizes like more stars to further allow more uploading our courses. That and split-screen multiplayer with 2 or 4 players would be really nice for those who don’t have online connection.

3. Add the Music Maker mode:

For those played Mario Paint on SNES or didn’t, there was a mode that allowed you to make music with the enemies and objects on a big music sheet. It became a big phenomenon for Mario players to create or re-create music with a simple yet deep music editor and a Music Maker would do wonders for Super Mario Maker. This mode would allow creators to come up with unique musical BGM theme for each stage by using many musical instruments and just experimenting different sounds that would fit the theme and atmosphere of that certain created level stage. It’s sounds like a lot but with Mario Sequencer and Auto-Mario (that Gaijin Goombah just mentioned in the video), it’s hard not to squeal at the idea of making your own music theme for your stage a reality that has yet to come true.

That’s it for the additions but now it’s time to list on improvements that need to become as free updates for Super Mario Maker:

1. More updates that fixes several problems on Course World like a search bar that searches for the stage’s name or maker instead of a 16 code and to have notifications on a new stage whenever we have a followed maker.

2. An update that allows use for more gameplay customization on Amiibo’s with each Amiibo bringing new gameplay mechanics to the game.

3. The ability to play different characters instead of Mario including the ones from our Amiibo collections.

4. More stages, enemies, objects and traps from other Mario games including New Super Mario Bros 1 & 2. Super Mario Land 1 & 2 and more.

5. The ability to fully customize the stage itself including changing the colors or look of the sky, forest, ocean and other styles.

That’s it for me on Super Mario Maker and you’ll excuse me…. I have some making to do!

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Good review. Could use more structuring and some paragraphs went on for too long. Part two was a lot better with the numbered bold headings. Thanks for sharing, now I wished I had a WiiU >.< Lol

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@Shinra Kuroki You can now buy a Wii U bundle of Super Mario Maker at Wal-Mart for $200 dollars from what I heard.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.