Suicide Squad Extended Cut Announced

Home Forums Off Topic Suicide Squad Extended Cut Announced

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

This is gonna be a trend for DC films on their home video releases isn’t it?

Here are the full details:

http://movieweb.com/suicide-squad-trailer-extended-cut-blu-ray/

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

OH FOR THE LOVE OF…

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

OH FOR THE LOVE OF…

“Meanwhile inside V-Tundra’s conscience”

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

OH FOR THE LOVE OF…

“Meanwhile inside V-Tundra’s conscience”

<iframe width=”640″ height=”360″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/xibXxtpQ6Xg?feature=oembed” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

I’d say it’s more like this… *tries to contain anger*

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@V-Tundra LOL!

Dukect
    Dukect
    Participant

So I’m the only one who likes this announcement

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I’m both curious and slightly cautious.

I’m curious because it’s pretty obvious that Suicide Squad this was completely BUTCHERED by committee group-think, corporate execs trying to ape Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool, and a limited running time that had to fit into a nice bite-sized snacky theater experience to get more asses in seats faster. Also, apparently there’s a ton of Leto Joker content that was left on the cutting room floor, and it’d be nice to get a version of the video that is far less…… shit.

However, I’m cautious because David Ayer has already been on record saying that what we saw in the theater was “his cut”. Was this PR bullshit to keep the popcorn-munching plebs buying tickets (myself included)? Probably.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/suicide-squad-david-ayer-cut/

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I’m curious because it’s pretty obvious that Suicide Squad this was completely BUTCHERED by committee group-think, corporate execs trying to ape Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool, and a limited running time that had to fit into a nice bite-sized snacky theater experience to get more asses in seats faster. Also, apparently there’s a ton of Leto Joker content that was left on the cutting room floor, and it’d be nice to get a version of the video that is far less…… shit.

Not surprised considering the original cut David Ayer made was darker than what we got with some humor mixed in. The reshoots came due to critics complaining about BVS not having MARVEL family friendly humore and WB ordered the reshoots to have more comedy thus why we have Harley Quinn act like female Deadpool than Harley (the jokes Harley makes about “death” are proof of just how awful her dialogue is). Not to mention, a lot of story and character scenes were cut out but we are getting only 13 extra minutes of footage which is absolute bullshit considering a lot was cut out of the movie:

http://movieweb.com/suicide-squad-movie-deleted-scenes-why-they-were-cut/

However, I’m cautious because David Ayer has already been on record saying that what we saw in the theater was “his cut”. Was this PR bullshit to keep the popcorn-munching plebs buying tickets (myself included)? Probably.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/suicide-squad-david-ayer-cut/%5B/quote%5D

No shit. I was on to him from the very moment WB announced reshoots for the film. Meanwhile, David Ayer goes all “Calm down guys! It’s not all bad! It’s to make the film better, I swear!” which everyone ate it up but not me since reshoots can almost always ruin an artist’s vision of their story for the sake of pleasing apathetic audiences who want nothing more than the same punchy superhero movie over & over again (Thus all MARVEL movies look and act the same but with different characters while containing wacky jokes to nud the audience back while people get killed on superhero fights right?! Double standard hypocrisy!).

Now whenever a DC movie gets made, pivotal footage must be cut out cause either DC or the MPAA don’t want to offend the audience but to lure our wallets with “Extended Editions” for Blu-Ray releases and don’t get me wrong, I love Director’s Cuts & Extended Cuts cause it allows us to see different cuts or get more story, action and characters as a bonus but this is just too suspicious to even call it an Extended Cut and it’s more like selling additional DLC for a hefty $35 bucks plus tax which I refuse to give money to. If you want to make the movie and release another version with it to add more value to the Blu-Ray like Alien Anthology, Exorcist III or Spartacus, I’m OK with it but this? It just grabs the fans by the balls and smashes them on the brick wall by forcing us to pay more for footage that SHOULD have been on the movie when it was released in theaters. This is just what Cinemax said during the Wasted Efforts episode regarding the Batgirl cover:

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS TAKES A STAB TO ARTISTIC FREEDOM

I feel sorry for David Ayer, Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer and the other filmmakers possibly forced to work with the incompetence that is WB/DC cause it looks very grim for DC’s future cinematic whatever they’re making. If I had to give these filmmakers advice is this: Quit the DCU and make their own original superhero movies to add more variety to an already stagnated genre before it dies out Old Yeller style like what happened with Westerns back in the late 80’s rather than saying “yes” all the time to executives who only want the DC films to be a billion dollar franchise like Harry Potter used to be after in ended in 2012.

One last thing to DC, MARVEL and every other executive cashing in on the cinematic universe trend:

^LIKE A FUCKING BOSS!

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

It just grabs the fans by the balls and smashes them on the brick wall by forcing us to pay more for footage that SHOULD have been on the movie when it was released in theaters.

That’s part of the problem that I have with videogame releasing DLC’s as well: Companies have figured out that a big part of their clientele likes getting ripped off. But I can’t blame them, they want to milk their audience as much as they want. That’s why they censor and ignore artistic integrity, because they know a name-grab is an automatic million-making machine. That’s why they announce 200 movies before even testing the audiences, because they know a name-grab is an automatic billion-making machine.

What I don’t understand is why is it that they put so little effort on films and so much more on TV (E.j. Daredevil on Netflix. It’s an amazing show and the show is very dark (and not in the “Bruh, do you even bleed? Cuz you will (zing!) kind of way, I mean; Kingpin as a kid kills his father with a hammer and then watches his mother chop up the corpse; and if that’s not enough, he decapitates a guy with a car door!)). And even away from Marvel, DC is kicking ass with it’s TV shows. It’s really a shame that the studios are only focusing on making bland, soulless cash-grabs on the film media. Even with Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War which I personally thought was a pretty good movie, even Marvel is announcing hundreds of films with no predictions nor testing whatsoever; and I’m scared of the idea that this good-reviews-streak has clouded them to the point of (I’m sorry if I’m bringing this continuously, it just fucking pisses me off) BRINGING THE DIRECTOR OF THE SHITHOUSE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL REMAKE. The fact that there’s no more variety among the superhero films is just cringing.

There’s a lot of reasons why films are sucking, creative differences between studios and creators (Batman vs. Superman, Fant4stic), rushed out films to compete over rival studios/cash in on trends (Suicide Squad), retaining the rights for a certain character (The god awful Amazing Spiderman films). Maybe studios think that Extended Versions are a “free-pass” to completely absolve any mistakes done during the production, and I can’t blame them for that. After the entire #SorryZnyder trend, it appears studios can interfere with any film they want and get a golden get-out-of-jail card with extended version DVD’s and Blu-rays.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@V-Tundra While I can’t say whenever the shows of MARVEL & DC are good or bad (i’m more into animated series rather than live action shows) but my guess would be better crew and an understanding of what they want to do with their properties when adapting it into a series. Get a good crew and you can have something amazing like The Spectacular Spider-Man or Daredevil and tada, your show’s a success. As for the MARVEL/DC movies, the problem is not only the lack of variety but the fact of the matter is these execs hiring talent that never handled big budget projects like this before and throwing them under the bus by either their incompetence or lack of knowledge when it comes to making comic book movies. Zack Snyder is fine cause he does know how to handle comic book films (300, Watchmen) but guys like Scott Derickson, Josh Trank or Jon Watts? I don’t mind fresh new filmmakers but there’s a very dangerous trends of hiring recent successful indie directors to helm big budget blockbusters from the get-go with mixed results. Jon Watts did 2 forgettable movies (Clown and Cop Car cause I watched them both and they were boring as fuck) yet he’s handling the new Spider-Man written by hacks who butchered the Vacation movie with their insulting reboot from last year which is history repeating itself since SONY hired an indie director Marc Webb to work on the Amazing Spider-Man reboot. What kind of backward fucking logic is this and why are people praising these movement? Isn’t hiring filmmakers who have experience making big budget movies a more secure way to make sure the people you hire know what the fuck they’re doing?

As for the rant, it was very mixed bag and doesn’t offer that much of valid points since it was already said better in other videos (IHE nailed the problem PERFECTLY!) but the question in need of asking is this:

How far can these studios milk the superhero trend until it’s dead like a horse?

I would say not for a long while cause MARVEL it’s still going strong and DC is still making money despite their films receptions but I do think there will be a time when superhero movies and all of this cinematic shared universe crap will over-saturate to the point executives will not only lose their minds on how bloated their films will end up but how it can hurt the potential for more diverse superhero movies financially & creatively. When I mean diverse, I mean about variety of superhero movies which is lacking on today’s film market due to how many studios are not willing to adapt these other comics unless they conform to these ideal that all superhero movies must have a cinematic universe or else it won’t be greenlighted Why not make stand alone superhero movies based on other properties or make original superhero movies to make much needed variety?

With the technology on CG and how we can put it to good use for storytelling, there’s potential to make amazing stuff from original or other based comic superheroes. How cool it would be to see Zack Snyder & Edgar Wright make a One Punch Man movie that embraces the over the top style of the series? Why not adapt stuff like The Astounding Wolf-Man, My Hero Academia, Tiger & Bunny to the screen with a unique spin put into the established story while staying faithful to it’s source material? Better yet, encourage filmmakers to make new superhero stories either dark or goofy to express ideals or themes that could resonate with audiences for years to come while showcasing fun action set pieces to engage the audiences while also being invested in the story and characters.

Sadly, this is gonna be the reality for superhero movie: Whenever someone tries to do something new or drastic, they’ll get criticized for butchering their “perfect” hero (Man of Steel) while generic crap like Thor 2, Avengers 2 and Ant-Man get a huge free pass cause their ideal superhero movies is “since it’s friendly for everyone, superhero movies should never be grim or it will get the shame stamp!” excuse is what’s hurting the genre to a fucking tee. Even DC is making sure Justice League is as “MARVEL friendly” as possible behind Snyder’s back while the director gets the blame as always cause that’s how gullible superhero movie fans have become; They’re sheeple now.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I could make a whole rant about this but since you’re doing the DCU livestream, it’s best to save the best for when your livestream begins.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@V-Tundra BTW, are you still doing the livestream? Any details so far?

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

@V-Tundra BTW, are you still doing the livestream? Any details so far?

Yes, the live-stream is still being made. I’ve decided to set the date on February 17th. I’ve still got to decide if wether to set it myself or ask Dukect for help, and I’m hoping that before February we get more news on DC’s planned releases and expected crisis-es (We got Flash director pulling out, that’s a good one).

So yeah, the stream is still on.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@V-Tundra Nice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.