#SorryZackSnyder

Home Forums Off Topic #SorryZackSnyder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition is out early on Digital HD (Thanks Hollywood and your massive army of self indulgent idiots that love to spoil the goods before it comes out!) and the reception is mixed to positive. While the 30 minutes won’t make the film a masterpiece, it fixes a lot of the other issues the film had in the theatrical cut while expanding the motivations and development of the characters further and while I haven’t watched it yet, I will wait for the Blu-Ray to come out and see if it’s worth a watch. However, that’s not the point of the thread but a new bandwagon has risen to frustrate my mind again.

Apparently, there’s this new trend going on called #SorryZackSnyder (obviously, I made it up but it’s for a reason) with a group of audiences and critics, who condemned Snyder for not making BVS a “MARVEL friendly superhero movie when it was released 4 months ago, have started apologizing to Snyder for not realizing the obvious cuts he was forced to make to obtain an PG-13 rating (does no one research shit anymore and jump to hating Snyder cause of trends?) including a scene where Superman tries to find her mother with all his powers but to no avail (unfortunately, it’s not in the extended cut from what I heard) and everyone are now cool with Snyder to make the 2 Justice League films. It’s quite hypocritical coming from the same people who think MARVEL movies are pure perfection of cinematic genius despite the company recycling the same tired formula for all their MCU movies as off late (I refuse to see Civil War and will never watch it after the abysmal mess that was Age of Ultron and Ant-Man).

To these people now having a quick change of heart just because they are loving the Ultimate Edition of BVS to look good on their special snowflake tweets:

As of now, I am sick to death of all the unnecessary hate Zack Snyder has been getting lately, It’s like these people are just watching his films to mock him and shame him just because he wanted to make something new (Sucker Punch) or introduce a new take to a beloved superhero (Man of Steel). I get that Snyder is a flawed filmmaker but his ability to push himself and improve his mistakes of his other films is what makes him a damn fine director which I admire from many of my favorites like Steven Speilberg, Peter Jackson, Edgar Wright, Stanley Kubrick and even Christopher Nolan. Can he be “too hardcore” when loving comic books? Yes but so is Joss Whedon or The Russo Brothers when they made The Avengers and Captain America: The Winter Soldier and when he makes movies based off on comics and graphic novels, you can see that he really loves the material he’s been given to make and does everything to be faithful from it’s panels to even entire story structures bit by bit (300 and Watchmen are my favorite comic book movies to date). Hell, when he made Sucker Punch, I really liked it the first time but by my second & third watch, I really dug the subtlety and themes of exploitation and empowerment Snyder wanted to tell despite his original cut being more longer with more bits of story but we will never get the chance to see it (Thanks WB and MPAA!). If people love or hate Zack Snyder, I’m fine cause everyone has their favorite or least-favorite filmmakers but shaming a filmmaker for wanting to make something new or interesting is in no way a good excuse to jump in and start pouting nonsense on Twitter or Facebook as you’re making future filmmakers become scared kittens who will get whipped for making new stuff and will just force themselves to make the same recycled movie we’ve been watching for decades. I respect Snyder cause he’s the type of guy that truly wants to make movies for everyone to enjoy for either fun or to tell a good story no matter the flaws he has to deal with throughout his career since his debut with Dawn of the Dead back in 2004 and with Snyder learning his flaws on BVS for his Justice League movie, does this not prove he actually cares to listen to his fans and wanting himself to get better in the future?

Also, for those who are saying about Snyder’s Superman by going all “But Mr.K! His version of Superman is an idiot who kills people for fun and has no grasp understanding of the character!!” which I reply you with this:

Happy 4th of July and for the love of God, stop jumping on the hate bandwagons early!

NOTE: The whole thing is a rant about the obnoxious trends with the whole Zack Snyder fiasco and I have nothing against the opinion of others whenever they love or hate something but it was something that needed to be said cause the more I ignore this problem with trends, the worst it could get.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

While I haven’t seen the new edition and I do intend on looking forward to it, I’m still very doubtful about this entire situation, because I thought that the movie had a lot of the problems that would need a lot to be fixed:

-Batman hates Superman for killing people, but he kills criminals nonetheless.
    -Superman wanting to protect Earth, but hating a vigilante for… um… I’m sorry, why does he even hate Batman?
    -Wonder Woman contributes very little to the film, other than being there to state “I exist”.
    -Lex Luthor showing clear despise of god-like beings, yet creating one to fulfill his purposes.
    -Wasting “Death of Superman” on the 2nd entry of a line of planned films. And then bringing him back to life as soon as the film ends.
    -Martha Kent being kidnapped simply as that without the far-hearing man of steel noticing.
    -No development, funding or even perspective into the Batman-Superman conflict. At all.

The movie is horribly flawed, and though Snyder isn’t to blame for everything; there’s still the fact that he’s not a very good director. Most of his films have mediocre reviews and though he’s a very good visual artist, I still wouldn’t consider him to direct a movie that truthfully intends to be good. Whenever a movie fails or succeeds, the responsibility lies on the one person who oversaw everything: the director. I will say I respect him for the time and effort he puts into his films, falling a lot of times and always trying to better himself, but as they always say: Hollywood isn’t founded on trying, it’s founded on succeeding (though these days that’s very doubtful). A good artist is respected for his devotion to making art, but in the end; the big wolves at the top won’t care about devotion. They only care about something that’ll make them money, they care about results.

I will also say that I’m even more troubled by the response of BvS that has taken on him. Suicide Squad has gone on from being the gritty dark film it was intended to be into this colorful everything-is-awesome flick, and that could be a sign of something that I don’t think is very good on the development of a film: changing the tone and ambience of a film when it’s about to be finished.

Another common flaw I see when criticizing Snyder is always comparing it to Marvel films, because though the cinematic DC universe is solely based to catch on the popularity of superhero movies; it needs to be something that can stand on its own. While some people criticize BvS for being a lame copy of Civil War, I criticize it for being a god-awful movie for having a lot of flaws, not one having to do anything with Marvel. And though I won’t say Marvel is the granddaddy of superhero movies, I cannot refuse the fact that they are making good movies. Stellar reviews and a good reception from the comic book community are clear symptoms that they’re doing something that’s very good. And I think that DC could do good, because isn’t this how Marvel started of? Doing cheesy dark edgy movies about superheroes with Daredevil, Elektra, Blade, Ghost Rider and The Punisher? If people keep criticizing DC for not being Marvel movies, DC will set itself with simply replicating what Marvel’s doing. (Though it seems they already are…)

So ok, Snyder did this magnificent movie and had to cut out certain parts to make it shorter and acceptable. Um, why didn’t he cut out the parts that don’t make sense? Wonder Woman could’ve been cut off, seeing as she’s not a very contributing character; but we do need her to show people that she exists! And we need her for the cliché everyone-unite-for-teh-greater-good! Also, did we really need that scene where Batman chases Superman and goes “Do you bleed, you will” and nothing else happens? It contributed nothing to the film, the development of the conflict of our 2 main heroes. Hell, did we even need the cutscene where Bruce’s parents get killed? It’s something we have already seen over 200 times already. It’s kind of redundant at this point, we all know Bruce becomes Batman to spare other people his fate. And of course, did we really need the introduction to the other justice league members? Well, the movie is called “Dawn of Justice” so I suppose it’s ok to give more time to characters that won’t speak or do anything at all instead to the characters whose conflict is the main subject of the movie. Again, not entirely Snyder’s fault, but who is the one who oversees everything? The director. Who is the one who calls the shots? The director. Who is the one who watches the film before releasing it to make final cuts? The director. Who is responsible for the movie? The director. Only in a rare occasion will a producer have more control over the director (I’m looking at you, Michael Bay).

Despite the pitfalls, Snyder did some very good things with the film. The fight scenes with Batman are incredible and the shout-outs to the comic books are very good, but that will take you only so far without a solid script.

So, will I watch the new edition of BvS? Absolutely, but I don’t think it can fix a film as broken as this one is. Should I blame Snyder for this? I know it’s not all his fault, but again; just like Fant4stic and Ghostbusters, the fault lies within the director. He’s the head-in-chief and the one whose opinion counts the most. If I had to blame someone greater, it would have to be the producers, because they’re the ones who hire everyone; but they’re not the ones who write the script or make the film. If I do like it, should I bend on my knees, swallow my words and accept Snyder as my lord and savior? Absolutely not. Even if the worst film in history got an extended cut that makes it a masterpiece, it still won’t fix the fact that a movie should be good since it is released.

I don’t have problem with people liking, loving, hating or disliking this movie; but if you’re going to defend/attack a movie, you must have solid reasons why it sucks/rocks instead of jumping into bandwagons which I hate the most. This can lead to very bad things, like upset fanboys setting a campaign to giving 5 star reviews to a film that doesn’t deserve it; or upset fanboys trying to blow the proportions of the crew’s flaws. I just hope that Snyder has REALLY learned from his mistakes and doesn’t make them again. If the following DC films do suck, I can’t blame Snyder on this one, because these films were founded on a very weak basis.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I will also say that I’m even more troubled by the response of BvS that has taken on him. Suicide Squad has gone on from being the gritty dark film it was intended to be into this colorful everything-is-awesome flick, and that could be a sign of something that I don’t think is very good on the development of a film: changing the tone and ambience of a film when it’s about to be finished.

That what makes me terrified for the film and the fact WB/DC hired Geoof Johns to make the DCU more “MARVEL” friendly is a sign that the company is bending to these ridiculous demands of making DC movies to be exact like MARVEL (which is a big fucking mistake cause that means both cinematic universes won’t stand own their own) and the reshoots are having me terrified on how SS ends up becoming.

While some people criticize BvS for being a lame copy of Civil War, I criticize it for being a god-awful movie for having a lot of flaws, not one having to do anything with Marvel.

Wait, people actually said that… They actually said BVS is a rip-off of Civil War? Do people even read news or are up to date on stuff anymore since we do use the fucking Internet to find and read information right?

So, will I watch the new edition of BvS? Absolutely, but I don’t think it can fix a film as broken as this one is. Should I blame Snyder for this? I know it’s not all his fault, but again; just like Fant4stic, the fault lies within the director. He’s the head-in-chief and the one whose opinion counts the most. The producers are ought to blame as well. If I do like it, should I bend on my knees, swallow my words and accept Snyder as my lord and savior? Absolutely not. Even if the worst film in history got an extended cut that makes it a masterpiece, it still won’t fix the fact that a movie should be good since it is released.

Used to be head in chief but not anymore with Geoff as head in chief (which is for better or worst depending how WB/DC handle the matter) and yes, while I do partially blame Snyder for a couple of things with BVS (defending Chris Terrio’s idea of killing Jimmy Olsen, Doomsday and using the Death of Superman too damn early), he really doesn’t deserve this massive floodgate of Internet hate he’s been getting. Even if I watch the new cut, will it make me crazy in love with BVS and kiss Snyder’s ass like you said? Of course not cause I’m no ass-kisser, I’m just a regular guy who loves movies and wants to see many filmmakers impressive me with their talents whenever they are flawless or flawed in general. The new cut won’t save it but it will probably make it better depending on each person’s thought regarding of BVS and honestly, I want to see Snyder tackle more experimental films like Sucker Punch to fully explore his potential as a stronger storyteller if audiences won’t let him make a superhero movie that could stand on it’s own regardless of it’s imperfections.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I just hope that Snyder has REALLY learned from his mistakes and doesn’t make them again. If the following DC films do suck, I can’t blame Snyder on this one, because these films were founded on a very weak basis.

From several interviews regarding Justice League, Snyder is eager to learn from his mistakes but I don’t think WB/DC would let him. Just look at the recent reveal dialogue regarding Batman with The Flash as it is cut-straight out of a MARVEL script:

http://www.movieweb.com/justice-league-movie-scene-description-batman-flash/

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Wait, people actually said that… They actually said BVS is a rip-off of Civil War?

http://www.grunge.com/6264/ways-captain-america-civil-war-ripped-batman-v-superman/

I wouldn’t be surprised people started thinking this way right after DC decides to launch a cinematic universe. Then again, most of the people who say these kind of things have never read a comic book in their life, and I doubt they even known Dark Knight Returns came out way before Civil War.

with Geoff as head in chief (which is for better or worst depending how WB/DC handle the matter)

Now THAT’s something I can get behind with. Geoff has done an excellent job with Arrow and The Flash, those are damn good series and that’s something I’d like to see. A JLA movie directed by Johns with the artistic vision of Snyder. (As long as we have no more Shrek-fucked-the-TMNTs Doomsday and the Balrog Steppenwolf)

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Now THAT’s something I can get behind with. Geoff has done an excellent job with Arrow and The Flash, those are damn good series and that’s something I’d like to see. A JLA movie directed by Johns with the artistic vision of Snyder. (As long as we have no more Shrek-fucked-the-TMNTs Doomsday and the Balrog Steppenwolf)

Like I said, it depends if WB/DC would stop being control freaks and let the filmmakers make the DC films they want to make. As much as Geoff did amazing things on the TV front and I want to be optimistic for him to succedd, it might just end up like the incident on the Wonder Woman movie with Whedon and DC. Yep, that controversial debacle that had the Internet in a freaking flame war during debates whenever the film was ever gonna get made.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Also, Doomsday did looked awful. I don’t want to be reminded of it ever again…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.