Scream The Series Review: Wes Craven's selling his dignity to MTV

Home Forums Off Topic Scream The Series Review: Wes Craven's selling his dignity to MTV

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

With only 3 episodes left on the series and a second season coming out (goddamn it), I think it’s a good time to review the series as a whole but first, a quick history of the film franchise that spawned an infamous legacy: Scream

Scream is a slasher saga that follows Sidney Prescott, a young girl who’s a target to a killer named “Ghostface” and the killer uses horror tropes from famous horror and slasher films to get rid of victims and she is joined by reporter Gale Weathers and Deputy Dewey Riley to solve the murders and figure out who the killer is before it’s too late. The franchise became a critical and financial hit with critics praising the concept of the slasher parody mixed with META humor dialogue and a tribute to horror films, which I do agree that the Scream films are filled with interesting ideas and twists that are decently executed while being a huge blast to figure out what horror trope will the killer use next… Until Scream 4 came out and butchered the franchise ever since development started going downhill all together with the Weinstein sending threats to Williamson to change the script and reshoots so bad, it makes Fantastic Four 2015 look legit. It was also infamous for the big controversies regarding of murder cases being linked to the Scream franchise and being constantly blamed for the MPAA’s heavy censorship fiasco during the 90’s. Years later, Wes Craven decided to create a Scream TV series to “expand” the mythos and sold the rights to the series to MTV because selling your series to a network that promotes dumb Jersey Shore assholes, teenage girls that mistreat children while loving their dickhead abusive husbands and glorifying the idea that meeting strangers and meeting them in real life while falling in love or not makes so much sense right? HAHAHA! Slap me and break my face as hard as you can cause I can tell you right now: Scream The Series is probably the worst thing to ever happened to the franchise. Yes, even worst than Scream 4.

Scream The Series takes place in a small town called Lakewood and everything is normal until a Youtube video goes viral (because this kind of plot refuses to fucking die), a string of murders begins to take toll on the teenagers of Lakewood and only ONE woman can saves us from doom… Her name is Emma and not only is she not as good as Sidney but she is the stupidest character in the history of stupid characters. Not even 20 minutes in the review and now I’m starting to lose my patience.

One of the big problems with the show is that the characters are either horrible or just goddamn pathetic. The only saving grace is Audrey, Noah and Daisy because these three feel like characters and have better motivations as to why they want to stop the killer from, well, killing people. Noah is a geek buff who specializes in history of serial killers and owning his own store (Fucking sweet!) while Audrey is a very sympathetic yet strong and confident girl that got thrown into a bad situation when the viral video got out and lost her loved one to the killer and Daisy is Emma’s mother with a dark secret and just trying to live a new life while harboring her dark secret with Brandon James, who’s infamous for killing 10 students during a prom in high school. The problem with the series is that it focuses on the wrong characters and instead, Noah, Audrey and Daisy are wasted as “fillers” for when the series feels like to throw the three characters into an episode and instead, we get stuck with “them”. Let’s start with Brooke, the typical cute looking rich girl with daddy issues that barely has any importance to the plot and she’s a disgusting character when it’s reveal that she used Emma as a bet to have sex with Will, Emma’s boyfriend, during the early years of school (Our friend, ladies and gentlemen!), Will is a good looking moron who makes terrible decisions because the plot says so, never works hard to prove Emma that he can be a decent person and he gets killed off in the sixth episode cause the series finally decided to “kill” someone since the other 3 episodes were literally about nothing happening, Jake is a stereotypical jock character that I’m still waiting for him to die because he is unlikable, Kieran is there to be Emma’s fucktoy, I mean, love interest and Emma, again, is a chick dumber than a blonde person trying to climb Mount Everest with a chihuahua and an IPhone. Seriously, Emma is a character that has no purpose in the central story of the series as she constantly makes stupid decisions, rather let the bitch rich girl Brooke live instead of choosing Riley, a person Noah deeply cares about, and Riley suffers for it, never grows and develop as a person and never gets a clue on what the killer would do next. I know that the purpose of the show is for Emma to figure out what the killer will do next but after 2 damn murders, you would have think that she would wise up and think before going out to the killer’s location? Nope, she just goes there, stuff happens and we move on cause FUCK YOU! we can. There’s no stakes or risks for the main character and when it usually happens, it’s over very quick and you are left feeling betrayed for watching the episode rather than being invested in the horror that’s happening around the characters.

Another problem I had with the series is the complete change of the tone of the series. Scream is and always will be about the satire and tribute of the horror/slasher genre that plays on overused tropes like being right back to your friends before you die or the obvious sexy big breast girl that always get killed but adding a twist by having a killer that uses the tropes to his advantage and up to us, the audience, to figure out that certain trope the killer will use to it’s next victim. The series, however, abandons the tone and ideas of the films, spits on it’s face and slaps the now recently overused social commentary of “social media and how dangerous it is!”. In short, the very same bullshit theme that was in Disney’s FROZEN but far dumber thanks to MTV. Look at the first 8 minutes and you’ll see what I’m talking about:

This whole opening scene “screams” nothing like Scream. It misses the point completely while shamelessly ripping off the famous scene of Drew Barrymore’s death opening from the first Scream movie and hell, Wes Craven found this “new” opening far better than what he did with the original Scream. Another problem is that the series has no build-up of either suspense or tension with only jump scares being thrown in to “scare” us and manipulates or nostalgia and love for Scream with references that are either obvious or punch worthy in the face that you will be left with no teeth in you mouth. Let’s us take a look at the original opening of Scream for a moment:

The first 12 minutes of the scene work because it knew what the movie wanted to be. A funny yet terrifying film that plays the trope of the horror/slasher genre and not only that but the scene work because there is build up in the tension and suspense of the killer’s introduction through Drew Barrymore’s character with the dialogue written very sharply and snappy while being absolutely uncomfortable to watch while witnessing the fate of the girl being slaughtered by Ghostface. There’s a legit reason why this scene works because we find a heroine that we can relate too (for a short time) and we want her to survive despite that it won’t be the case. Plus, it actually feels and looks real than the series itself. The intro of the first episode is a complete disgrace to the opening of Scream the first film with the writer having no idea what he was doing while re-creating the intro and plus, Nina is an unlikable bitch like why should I give a shit if she dies? She’s a spoiled moron that had it coming to her and I never felt anything for her nor did she contributes anything to the plot. To add more injury, it is an insult to a franchise that had potential to break new grounds but were wasted away due to corporate control on the sequels and hacks that jumpship to the series while doing no research at all about Scream. Plus, the social media idea is barely used in the show and has nothing to do with the Scream mythos while there’s already plenty of movies that deal with social media with much more maturity and brains than this series (watch Disconnect and Her for examples).

With 3 episodes left on this shithole of a show, I have nothing more to say to the series. It takes everything awful from the Scream movies (like the fourth Scream did) and ranks up the abysmalness to a 20 with shoddy writing that occasionally throws in sexist and racist dialogue to possibly please the SJW’s demographic (it is popular on Twitter and Tumblr thanks to the SJW’s and it’s stupid memes/GIFS), mixed bag acting, twists and turns that are too predictable, awful direction, manipulating our love for Scream with terrible nostalgic references and characters that are incredibly unlikable and are just there to be killed off except Noah, Audrey and Daisy. Wes Craven has crossed the line and this time, he has lost me as a fan when he was starting to go downhill in his directing career when he chose to whore himself out to terrible projects that would ruin his reputation and now, he really has nothing to do with his time but to troll his fans. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back said it best when Scream 4 would someday become a reality:

Also, if Wes Craven is reading this, I have this to say: Craven, you should have stopped a long time ago when you made My Soul To Take but you refused and instead, you piss on your own legacy by making Scream 4 which you knew it had a bad early development and also knew about the threats the Weinsteins made to Kevin Williamson over the script but instead, you didn’t care about the threats and now, my dear Wes, you’re paying the price for the moronic self-indulgent egotistical asshole that you are now. I do hope that your future does bring you some hope of making a good comeback but right now, you are sinking to your death with the series and as of now, because I knew it would happened, this is me going “I told you so” to all the people that were hyped for the series and later, came out sad, heartbroken and lonely:

Have fun with your misery, Craven. You had it coming…

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Damn, you’re really brutal with your reviews.

I saw the first episode and it bored me out of my mind. The worst thing is that it made me not give a shit about any of the characters, which is important if you want to draw viewers.

If you are disappointed with Scream, watch Teen Wolf (which Scream took a the piss out of in the promos for their series).

It’s different from the movies/BWOC but it is a refreshing different.

Great writing, likable characters, and has themes revolving around personal empowerment, love, friendship, and responsibility. I guess like a monster version of MLP* with blood, sex, fighting, biting, insanity, and a couple of my other favorite things. Has a good amount of humor in there too.

It’s like the Teen Wolf films in the fact that it is not “horror” oriented but there are some wicked character designs for some of the supernatural critters like the nogitsune and berzerkers.

Check it out.

*Not a brony and not a good comparison but I just think its funny that despite of all the fucked up things that happen in the show, the characters stay pretty up-beat and positive through it all.

Stiles: Scott, I am being possessed by a entity that embodies chaos and hatred in its most purest form. I also have tried to kill our friends in my sleep and I get off on the pain/misery of others.

Scott: Dude, you’re my best friend! I will never abandon you! We will get through this!

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Damn, you’re really brutal with your reviews.

I saw the first episode and it bored me out of my mind. The worst thing is that it made me not give a shit about any of the characters, which is important if you want to draw viewers.

If you are disappointed with Scream, watch Teen Wolf (which Scream took a the piss out of in the promos for their series).

It’s different from the movies/BWOC but it is a refreshing different.

Great writing, likable characters, and has themes revolving around personal empowerment, love, friendship, and responsibility. I guess like a monster version of MLP* with blood, sex, fighting, biting, insanity, and a couple of my other favorite things. Has a good amount of humor in there too.

It’s like the Teen Wolf films in the fact that it is not “horror” oriented but there are some wicked character designs for some of the supernatural critters like the nogitsune and berzerkers.

Check it out.

*Not a brony and not a good comparison but I just think its funny that despite of all the fucked up things that happen in the show, the characters stay pretty up-beat and positive through it all.

Stiles: Scott, I am being possessed by a entity that embodies chaos and hatred in its most purest form. I also have tried to kill our friends in my sleep and I get off on the pain/misery of others.

Scott: Dude, you’re my best friend! I will never abandon you! We will get through this!

Well, you can say that I’m pretty fucking “metal”. I like to do heavy research on franchises like this on my reviews cause it would give plenty of knowledge for the reader and allow the reader to come up with it’s own researched opinion… Speaking of research though, I made a big mistake on the whole “threat to Williamson” as the threats were coming from the production notes of the movie Cursed, not the Scream sequels as those were still rumors at the time and now I’m too late for editing the damn paragraph. Still, Craven needs to be slapped in the face for Scream 4 and this series. I wonder how you reacted to the first episode though, it would be either funny or hilarious.

Teen Wolf… Eh, I didn’t really cared for the series except for some of the cooler looking creatures that were designed in the show (the doctors looked really badass as if Fallout and Silent Hill had sex and gave birth to these cool looking motherfuckers!). Also, that freaking dialogue you posted… I don’t if I should laugh or cringe at it…

Oh wait:

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.