"Samus Aran is transexual" so says greatly misinformed SJWs

Home Forums Off Topic "Samus Aran is transexual" so says greatly misinformed SJWs

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  0megablaster 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

So today an article came out claiming that the Metrodio Heroine & Iconic video game character Samus Aran is transsexual. This latest piece of propaganda is co-authored by none other than Brianna Wu.

http://www.themarysue.com/metroids-samus-aran-transgender-woman/

And an archive link just in case.
    https://archive.is/lEuaL

This Mary Sue makes this claim with very little evidence. They found an old Japanese article that Hirofumi Matsuoka called Samus a “ニューハーフ” (Nyuuhaafu ~ new half). So far, there are a lot of these unprovable accounts that explain the use of this word without it literally meaning “trans”. The most likely story I read is he called Samus “ニューハーフ” is this; mid way through development the development team got the idea to make Samus a woman, when they had initially designed her to be a man. Now I’m not sure if that is 100% true, but it makes the most sense to me.

I took a year of Japanese classes at university, and you really never want to rely on Google translate for anything. Japanese does not translate into English very well. There are still some words and grammar that I can’t fully put into English words. What I do know, is katakana (they alphabet they used in spelling ニューハーフ) is used when writing a foreign word (ex: coffee = コーヒー koohii). This means the word means what Japanese people think the word means to people who speak English. Doesn’t that make determining the true meaning of the word kind of complicated.

Shocking is how neither author knows Japanese (or at least makes no claim to). In the article, they say the word “ニューハーフ” might also gets its meaning from the word “ハーフ” (haafu ~ half) which they would use in 1980s to refer to people of mix race. Their logic is since “ハーフ” can mean mix race, then it might also mean “ニューハーフ” wasn’t always used in a derogatory fashion, a complete misunderstanding by people who don’t understand Japanese language. Katakana of foreign words follow how they sound, but Japanese language doesn’t follow the rules of English. Half is not a modifier or word that is attached to other words in Japanese. Some Japanese words can be combined like the English words myself (my and self), but that’s for their native words. Think of it like this, that would be like if America decided to start using the word “honya” instead of the word book store and then started to use the “ya” after items to denote stores that sold that item (hon means book and honya means book store).

The article then ends on an appeal to stupidity social justice, stating trans people are very desperate for a trans hero that the word of the author or actual cannon don’t matter, only what they feels matters. I do sympathize with this feeling. I wish there were some more gay protagonists in games, but I refuse to say there’s anything necessarily bad about a straight character. Just because a character doesn’t have a specified sexuality, doesn’t mean I can or should label them as gay. Also, if a character is a minority, but it is never reflected in the story & no one cares; does it matter. Just like I can think a character who doesn’t have a specified sexuality is gay, isn’t a gay character who never has the fact they’re gay weaved into the story be just thought of as straight. Sure there might be a bio that says “gay”, but if it never comes up in the story, aren’t we just playing a straight character who just happens to have the word “gay” in their bio? The thing is, I don’t just want a character who happens to be gay, I want a gay character who brings in a different perspective of the world because they are gay. Sure gay people aren’t that different from straight people, but there as different as someone from a different nationality.

I guess tomorrow I write about that dreaded controversy about gender, race, and sexuality swaps. For now, my TL;DR opinion on it is that we need new characters, not changing old ones to fit the times.

TL;DR Samus isn’t trans.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

So Brianna Wu wrote a follow up article on the Marry Sue basically calling people who disagreed with her head canon of Samus being trans was being transphobic for being so against the idea. I however, feel that most people complaining about her fan theory are just annoyed that she is trying to force everyone to believe in it; just read the title of the original article if you have any doubts. This new appeal to victimhood surprised no one.

Also this happened:

https://archive.is/5RXhk

FYI: Nintendo of Florida (@NintendoFlorida) is a un-official Nintendo fan page. I hope this gave you a good laugh.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

So Brianna Wu wrote a follow up article on the Marry Sue basically calling people who disagreed with her head canon of Samus being trans was being transphobic for being so against the idea.

Sounds like the right tactic: say something stupid -> anyone who doesn’t agree is called a biggot as a last-ditch, Hail Mary attempt to silence dissenting dialogue

I however, feel that most people complaining about her fan theory are just annoyed that she is trying to force everyone to believe in it; just read the title of the original article if you have any doubts. This new appeal to victimhood surprised no one.

What did surprise little cynical ‘ol me is that people are finally recognizing that aforementioned pattern. 🙂

But to get back to the bits about Samus being a ‘Half’, isn’t she half-Chozo alien? I read in an old Nintendo Power comic (Super Metroid) that she has Chozo blood. Or maybe that’s just what I remember from a ~15 year old comic and the Metroid lore.

0megablaster
    Participant

No laughing man your right she has Chozo blood in her. Your memory is Correct.

And my opinion on this is… Holy fuck

Enough said… This kind of stuff always bothers me especially when they keep trying to force people that they are right and if they don’t believe that they are blasphemous heathens. It’s really stupid…

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.