Repetitive Games Discussion.

Home Forums Off Topic Repetitive Games Discussion.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

So this all began after the debut of Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate (which in my opinion looks amazing) and after checking the response to the reveal I’ve seen a lot of people hating the game or saying it already sucked by the most common reason you’ll see on the internet:

“It’s the same game with different graphics, it has nothing new”

I’ve been asking myself the question: “Is the game to blame or the people who blame it?”. I should present that a game having repetitive gameplay isn’t really a problem. There are many games which I truly believe are guilty of this crime (EA sport games mostly) but however, I see that many famous games also repeat their games while adding new features; how come we never see people criticize these games for “committing the same mistake”? Halo is the exact same thing in every launch, with new guns and game modes being added every title; why don’t people criticize people by this reason? Mario Kart has been the exact same thing every time, adding new items, maps and modes; why doesn’t anyone complain about it?

Before I get stones launched by saying AC is really repetitive, I’ll say Assassin’s Creed is one of the few franchises which ACTUALLY constantly changes it’s basic elements. We’ve got different multiplayer modes comparing ACB, ACR, ACIII, ACBF and ACU, naval combat which was introduced only in two games (one being expanded), customization which was only available for Unity, the combat system, the parkour system; and now we’ve got carriages and the gang factor. Why do people accuse it of being repetitive? I know it’s a matter of opinion, but it would be pretty dumb for someone to say it’s the exact same game without playing every title. Now let’s compare this franchise with another highly praised one like Halo. Halo has changed very little things with every title. Multiplayer modes being added, new weapons and enemies being introduced, even to the point of literally copying Call of Duty’s mechanics in Halo 4 and Halo 2 Anniversary’s cam-kill. Why is it that we never see people criticizing this game which has been doing the same steps as Assassin’s Creed? However, that’s just my opinion.

So I want to ask the CCS community, do you think the games are to blame, or the people who blame the games?

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

I honestly havent cared since 2 & 4, but they’re definately different games.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Answering that question would be like solving the puzzle to immortality because it all depends if the games, repetitive or new, could stand on it’s own. Games like Mario, Halo, AC and every other franchise need to make adjustments in order to survive and yes, these franchises may have repetitive combat or features but it doesn’t matter because even when you have something repetitive, you just add more content and features that not only add more value to the game but also makes up for the repetitive stuff that we see in the games. Best example is the Monster Hunter series as these games were critized for being the same finding and hunt monster gameplay when they shoul realize is that it is the main selling point of the game: You hunt monsters to become stronger, earn badass equipment and leave you with a feeling for hunting more monsters for more stuff to find or create. Even if it’s repetitive, the game designers know to add variety into the monsters to make them feel fresh but also challenging to defeat. However, if a game is repetitive while offering nothing new to the value of gameplay then of course, people will be pissed that it’s repetitive and call it the same crap they played over and over again (*cough* triple AAA games in general *cough*).

These days, People, especially modern gamers, like to bitch and moan on just about everything without giving the product a chance. Yes, some of the negatives can be justified like with Destiny, AC: Unity or Watch Dogs but with games like Splatoon, Mario Maker, Scalebound or any new IP, people will find excuses to justify themselves as to why this will ruin gaming instead of keeping an open mind and try the games for themselves cause you know, maybe they might turn out better than we thought it would (seriously, why aren’t they excited for Mario fucking Maker?!). Hell, this are the same people that DEFEND micro-transactions, DLC before game launch and DLC locked on disc in the uncontrollable trend in triple AAA games and rather point fingers while nitpicking stuff you see in game trailers instead of using their cells and calm their shit down for once. Maybe if these people spend more time at educating themselves through research and learn more about the games they might be looking forward to play instead of bitching at a trailer, there might be hope for the consumers to know which games is worth spending money on and the others that don’t offer nothing but lie and scam the consumer straight to the face.

Too bad the Internet is filled with man-child whiners, moronic feminists, fanboy/fangirl complainers and elitist pricks that won’t grow up and discuss their thoughts like rational human beings.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

So I want to ask the CCS community, do you think the games are to blame, or the people who blame the games?

I guess it depends on the individual tastes of gamers. I think some franchises follow “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” rule while other franchises incorporate new content or experiment with different styles. Success rate varies: some gamers will love it, others will despise it.

Meh.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.