Obligatory Undertale Discussion

Home Forums Off Topic Obligatory Undertale Discussion

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

1. Is Undertale good?
    2. Is the Undertale fandom the worst?
    3. Is Undertale GOTY material?
    4. Is Undertale progressive/liberal/feminist?

Is Undertale good?

Yes, Undertale is good. It has a good story, fun gameplay, memorable characters, & an awesome original sound track. The story is well layered, multifaceted, & has some really good twists & turns. Anyone who has called a plot twist has normally been spoiled by someone, because they are very subtlety hinted at & are hard to predict. The game play is a mix of classic RPGs, a little bit of bullet hell, and a good dash of point & click dialogue options. It sounds weird but it really comes together in a fun fashion. The characters are very memorable, varied, & lovable. Every enemy type has usually at least two attacks & even their attacks match their personality & theme. The music is awesome and really helps to convey the feeling. I hear the remix scene for Undertale’s OST is also really good, so check that out.

Is the Undertale fandom the worst?

In a world where the Steven Universe fandom exists; no Undertale doesn’t not have the worst fandom. Also, if you’re judging a fandom based off of the actions of special snowflakes on Tumblr, the problem is you are on Tumblr, not the fandom. Tumblr is where authoritarians & other such intellectually bankrupted zealous ideologies gather. I don’t know why Tumblr has such flocked an empty headed, lunatic population; but I don’t find it at all representative of any demographics, other than of itself.

Is Undertale GOTY material?

Well that depends on your criteria for GOTY. Undertale is no Dark Souls in difficult & it’s no Crisis in graphics, but Undertale has an 8-bit heart that will make you puke nostalgia & fart chip tunes. If you judge GOTY by how dehydrated it made you at the ending from crying so much, Undertale is a good contender. The story & character resonates with people on a level that even triple A titles usually fail to live up to. Well it does offer some challenge & the aesthetic is rather powerful, I could see why your GOTY would go to other games if you weigh those factors more.

Is Undertale progressive/liberal/feminist?

I’ve heard Undertale toted as showing “Gaming is ready for feminism” and other such nonsense. While there are some “progressive” characters in it, Undertale is hardly a successful progressive story. When I talk about “progressive” games, Gone Home is what pops into my mind. For Gone Home, the “game” is more about pushing its political agenda then it is about being a game, being a piece of art. I think the term propaganda that you pay for is the best descriptor for it. The toting of Undertale as the beginning of feminist gaming is vastly, grossly over-inflated. People like it for the reasons stated in the first paragraph & are either apathetic or mildly amused by the “progressive” aspects. Those with a political axe to grind with gamers are of course going to use Undertale to bolster their defunct political dribble and then turn on it since nothing can satiate their political lunacy. As soon as they’re done milking Undertale for being so “diverse”, they’re going to turn on it and devour it. It’s all ideological pygmies can do, co-opt something more popular & then eat it from the inside out.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

While I never played the game (don’t have a strong computer and it lags during Internet), I did watch several comic dubs and watched plenty of videos regarding the game but I can say this though: Undertale is the modern version of Earthbound and very deep in it’s themes of hope and joy on how everyone, even the villains, deserve a chance to hope for a brighter future and it’s something that you don’t see often in triple AAA gaming where everything must be hardcore and full of political or gender agenda bullshit being thrown at your face. Undertale is NONE of those things. It’s a game with a simple yet complicated complex story with memorable characters and moments, amazing OST (the remixes are astounding) and so much emotional connection to the world and mythos, you can’t stop getting chills on your back or smiling throughout the game.

THIS is how games should be in the first place.

As for the fandom, they’re not that bad and sure, it has some shitty fans but what fanbase doesn’t? Besides, every fandom has both good and bad qualities.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Sero
    Sero
    Participant

The game is honestly great, considering that I’ve just finished my 3rd playthrough and it still has a massive impact on me from an emotional standpoint. Its a sweet game with a touching story with amazing twists on the RPG genre. But as a whole, it doesn’t really push a political agenda in the face of the players in terms of feminism. Sure, you have a few empowering female characters woven into the narrative but it doesn’t play with that factor too much.

As for the fanbase, I feel that it’s a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. Sure you have a few bad apples now, but as seen from past fanbases, the more popular the game becomes the community also becomes just as toxic. By that I mean that it would attract more bad apples to the fanbase. This was pretty much the case with the MLP fanbase and various YT channels (you know who i mean 😉 )

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Since this is an Undertale thread, I might as well post some fan made Undertale comics that are just as perfect as they can be and it’s really depressing!

PS: Spoilers Alert!

Attachments:

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Shit, the upload of the other images got corrupted…

Better!

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

So fellow forum user 0megaBlaster has started a LP of Undertale. It’s just what I needed, I’ve only seen like 12 different LPs of Undertale already. Seriously, I’ve seen way too many LPs of Undertale. I still watch LPs of them just because I like seeing how the LPer will react to certain moments in the game.

Here’s part 1 of 0megaBlaster’s LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u3cwPfo4_8&

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.