New trailer for The Boy and the Beast is here!

Home Forums Off Topic New trailer for The Boy and the Beast is here!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

The new film from Mamoru Hosoda (director of the Digimon OVA Our War Game, Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children) and his first film to be animated by his animation company, Studio Chizu, The Boy and the Beast looks like to be another solid hit in his resume and goddamn it, I cannot wait to see this film since I am a fan of Hosoda’s work with all of his films being my favorites (Hell, I own Summer Wars both on DVD and Blu-Ray!). Too bad I have to wait to see this movie until it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack in the West…

For those who never heard of this film, here’s the plot summary and text for the trailer since it’s all Japanese:

“The story of the film is set in the human realm (Tokyo’s Shibuya ward) and the bakemono realm (“Jūtengai”). In these two worlds which must not intersect, there lives a lonely boy and a lonely bakemono. One day, the boy gets lost in the bakemono world, becomes the disciple of the bakemono Kumatetsu, and is renamed Kyūta.”

Narrator: Apart from the human realm, there is another realm that you don’t know.
    Kumatetsu: Hey, you alive or dead?
    Kyūta: I—it’s a monster.
    Kumatetsu: You coming with me?
    Narrator: The realm of beasts.
    Text: From The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, and Wolf Children director Mamoru Hosoda.
    Text and Narrator: Kyūta, the boy who is all alone.
    Kumatetsu: From now on, this boy is my disciple.
    Text and Narrator: Kumatetsu, a rowdy beast.
    Text: The Boy and The Beast as student and master?!
    Narrator: Thus begins an unlikely bond between student and master.
    Kumatetsu: I’m your master!
    Kyūta: I’m not your disciple!
    Narrator: They will push each other.
    Tatara: Just give it a rest. Why did you even take a human boy as a disciple?
    Narrator: They will understand each other.
    Narrator: And before they notice it, they will share an irreplaceable connection.
    Kyūta: Don’t lose, Kumatetsu!
    Kumatetsu: Kyūta…
    Text: This summer, Studio Chizu presents a moving masterpiece.
    Text: If I’m with you…
    Kaede: Where did you come from?
    Text: …I can become stronger.
    Text and Narrator: The Boy and The Beast

So, any thoughts on this while also looking forward to see this film?

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Thanks for bringing this to attention!

I want to see this. Is there a western release date?

Studio Chizu does some stunning animation. I remember Digimon. TGWLTT bored me. Summer Wars was pretty good.

Wolf Children is my personal favorite (cuz I’m such a wolfaboo jk). I even have the official art book for it (I love looking at concept art/animation cells).

Chizu reminds me of Studio Ghibli for some reason even though their animation style/themes are different.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Thanks for bringing this to attention!

I want to see this. Is there a western release date?

Studio Chizu does some stunning animation. I remember Digimon. TGWLTT bored me. Summer Wars was pretty good.

Wolf Children is my personal favorite (cuz I’m such a wolfaboo jk). I even have the official art book for it (I love looking at concept art/animation cells).

Chizu reminds me of Studio Ghibli for some reason even though their animation style/themes are different.

No problem, Kahuna. I am a fan of animation after all and anything that catches my interest, I will share them with others and oh God, I so wanna see this movie but looks like we have to wait for the film to get released (It will be released in Japan on Summer 2015 mostly in the month of June) and as for the Western release, maybe Funimation might license the film and release it to theaters this year while possibly the DVD/Blu-Ray combo-pack will come out in 2016 but I’m just guessing, so I might be wrong.

The animation of Studio Chizu looks very Ghiblish considering that Mamoru Hosoda did work in a lot of Ghibli films while he was well known for being the man who was supposed to direct Howl’s Moving Castle but was fired off the project due to the bosses at Studio Ghibli being unimpressed with his resume and Howl’s never moved into production until Miyazaki took over. Studio Chizu is also filled with new and old animators that worked on many different studios like Ghibli, Madhouse, BONES, Sunrise and etc. that it is really does give a more familiar if not a new fresh take on animation and it does look beautifully stunning. Hell, I love all of Hosoda’s works especially Wolf Children since not only I am a fan of werewolves (they are awesome creatures) but the movie had one of the deepest moving stories that I ever had pleasure in experiencing it to myself about the sacrifices of parenthood and how we must let our kids decide for themselves what would they want to do when they become adults. Summer Wars is also just phenomenal and I fucking love King Kazma in it. Chizu does have a lot of similarity to Ghibli with the nature of the backgrounds but both are completely different with Miyazaki dealing more with nature, war, aircraft and balance while Hosoda has a more edge to it by simply taking overused tropes and re-use them but in a more unique way like Summer Wars with the theme of family but exploring the connection between the relationship we make with families and the hardships we go through to achieve happiness while TGWLTT discusses the moral of always take your time in not only living your life but to chose carefully the kind of life you want to live in your future because like the line of the film says “Time waits for no one.”

Also, you are lucky to have the Wolf Children Concept Art book! Maybe I might find it in the PRCC 2015 convention in May soon.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Hey, I nailed it. Funimation has just licensed Boy and the Beast and the DVD/Blu-Ray combo pack will be released in 2016.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

OMG! 2 more trailers for Boy and the Beast!! Summer is being nice to me already!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-01/mamoru-hosoda-the-boy-and-the-beast-film-previews-mr-children-theme-in-new-trailers/.88773

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.