KahunaDrake's Projects (Novels, Indie games, web series, etc.)

Home Forums Member Spotlight KahunaDrake's Projects (Novels, Indie games, web series, etc.)

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Since I mentioned at the end of last year that I was working on a few things, I thought I would start this thread to give updates on some projects and what I hope to accomplish in the coming years.

The biggest one in my life right now is my first novel (cosmic dark-fantasy/horror). I am almost to half way though it and I hope to have a first draft by the end of the year if not sooner. The next step after the initial draft is to refine it into a second/third draft. Afterwards, I am going to need beta-readers to review so I can work on a fourth draft. By then, I hope to have an editor for formatting/grammatical issues and an illustrator/artist for the book cover and character/creature designs. I plan to publish through Amazon’s CreateSpace. I have a sequel lined up as well.

As far as game development goes, it’s slow progress and I am not going to invest too much time in it for the sake of my novel. But I am not going to give up and I will still work on learning Unity/coding/Blender when I have spare time. Thankfully, the local indie community in my area has been helpful in mentoring me through this. I plan on creating two different horror titles. My first one I plan on being short, sweet, but unsettling all the same. The second one will be much longer and more in-depth with story/gameplay once I get experience and/or a development team to help me bring it to life.

What do I hope to accomplish through all of this?

That’s a multi-layered question. Long story short, I hope to share this mythos I have created and developed over the years with others through my writings and games. If I meet other talented and creative people that wish to collaborate, it would be awesome to create webcomics, animated web series, movies, graphic novels, games etc. Who knows? With the technology we have in this generation, the possibilities are infinite.

Does this all sound far-fetched?

Not really. Reality is stranger than fiction and I’ve heard some wild and unlikely success stories. Someone once said successful writers (I guess this can apply to other content creators) are not exceptionally talented, just determined as fuck to see their vision through.
    I don’t claim to be the best but I know I can improve on my craft/skills through learning and constructive criticism. It also helps to have a “never say die” mentality.

Well, that’s my story…so far. Until I get a proper blog/website set up, I’ll use the CCS forums to provide updates on my novel/game projects.

Thanks for the support!

I can’t wait to share my stories with you and I got some characters that are dying to meet ya! πŸ™‚

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Update:

Wow, so I am currently on the 2nd part of my novel. Feeling good and stuff is about to pop off!

On the game development front, I am going to start modeling a creature of sorts for my horror game based on some concept sketches. I currently have a environment I am practicing with so after placing some foliage I can find some water effects (although complicated in their animation). Maybe I can complete a demo level.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Making headway in my novel and game.

1/2 way through the novel only 40,000 words left to go.

Got a basic level design (wip) and need to get back to modeling.

I recently aquried a new tablet so that should help with concept art.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

HulderRia
    Participant

Keep up the good work! πŸ˜€
    Will be fun seeing the final results when you reach the finish line. πŸ˜‰

Please excuse my attrocious english. ouo

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Keep up the good work! 😀
    Will be fun seeing the final results when you reach the finish line. 😉

Thanks, HulderRia. At least you have some work to show off πŸ˜‰ I’m just leaving little text updates. I’ll probably upload a screenshot of the final word count and maybe one of the final transcript if I print it out.

Not sure about the game. I don’t want to spoil the concept.

Once I have my website, I’ll share more with you guys of what I’m working on.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

HulderRia
    Participant

If you do, I will be very excited πŸ˜€ I really liked the short minigame you posted here some time ago, so I will keep my eyes open to any utdate here. πŸ™‚

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

If you do, I will be very excited 😀 I really liked the short minigame you posted here some time ago,

Oh my! You saw that primitive thing LOL yeah technically my first game but I’M striving to make a “real” one.

Thanks for your kind words. I’ll post more updates when I can. Life is kinda touch-and-go at this point.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

HulderRia
    Participant

i got quickly sucked into it, and think you have an ability to hook the reader in. πŸ™‚
    So I’m very excited to see what you do next.

And no problem! ^^

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

i got quickly sucked into it, and think you have an ability to hook the reader in. 🙂
    So I’m very excited to see what you do next.

Wow you’re too kind. Thanks for taking time to play my game and for the compliments on my writing skills.

Sometimes writers can be self-doubting in regards to their abilities.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Around 44k+ today in my novel.

I gotta remove the trees in my game bc the first-person character keeps walking through them. Unity has a measure to prevent this but it’s not working so I will have to do it manually (i.e. prefab nonsense). Still gotta get around to modeling, which takes a lot of concentration on my part. I already had to start over bc I messed up.

Another thing I’m working on is the re-design of my mascot. He’s my oldest character and I can’t wait to see him on my logo. Honestly, I can’t wait for my characters to get their own design sheets, especially my eldritch creatures :3 Hopefully, I’ll get to collaborate with my chosen artists soon.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

0megablaster
    Participant

Need help with anything with this project? I dabble in voice acting and I am also script writer who does freelance work.
    I’ve been meaning to branch out more with what I work with and I think your project has great potential.
    I really like your determination in this so I’m willing to help out any way I can. Either it be helping any writing or just being a second opinion on anything. I really excited to see how this project will come together.
    So if you want you have my services free of charge! ^_^

But from seeing these updates it seems like you are doing great on your own so i would understand if you didn’t need help from a random guy on a forum. xD

I hope everything turns out great in the end for this project ^_^

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Need help with anything with this project? I dabble in voice acting and I am also script writer who does freelance work.
    I’ve been meaning to branch out more with what I work with and I think your project has great potential.
    I really like your determination in this so I’m willing to help out any way I can. Either it be helping any writing or just being a second opinion on anything. I really excited to see how this project will come together.
    So if you want you have my services free of charge! ^_^

Thanks for the offer! I am actually looking into beta-readers (people who give feedback on a manuscript before it is published) so I can have the best possible feedback from a potential audience before I send it out into the world.

Keep a look out next year in the forums when I will get around to this process. I’ll probably post an ad or something.

But from seeing these updates it seems like you are doing great on your own so i would understand if you didn’t need help from a random guy on a forum. xD

I hope everything turns out great in the end for this project ^_^

Thanks. Writers have issues with self-doubts during the creative process so any encouragement is great. Honestly, I just hope people enjoy my characters/story.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

0megablaster
    Participant

Alright ^_^ I’ll keep an eye out for the updates lol

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

50K + as of today. Getting down to the wire as far as a conclusion goes.

Doing paperwork for my business to get started.

Website coming soon.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

I met with my lawyer last week and he is registering my LLC so I hope to become a small-business owner sometime this week.

I’m at 55k in my novel and I’m in the final stretch of my story. I estimate to have a first draft completed sometime in September (was a little behind schedule due to relatives visiting). My goal, to speed up the process, is to write around 1,000 words per day.

I have a business plan outline and a laundry list of stuff I need (UPS box, business cards, logo, website, etc.) so I can’t wait to start crossing some things off πŸ™‚

The game development front is slow but I hope to do some reference photography next month and I plan to get some coding done today.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.