Jurassic World Discussion Thread

Home Forums Off Topic Jurassic World Discussion Thread

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I just got out of watching Jurassic World in 3D and dear God, it was just a wonderful film. Yes, some of the subplots are unnecessary and the villain Hoskins suck really bad but the atmosphere of Jurassic World is amazing with the whole park being open and seeing the people interact with the dinosaurs is pretty cool, the CGI looks phenomenal as always and they still use animatronics in some scenes, which was nice. The references to the original are really clever while the characters, despite being stereotypical, are still likable and an improvement over the other characters of the JP sequels, the music by Michael Giacchino is excellent while including the original themes intact and the last 30 minutes are the most epic climatic fights you’ll see on screen. Also, the 3D was awesome. Watch it in IMAX 3D… You will not regret it.

So, what did anyone think of Jurassic World? Did you like it or hate it? What improvements or additions do you wanna see get in further Jurassic World sequels?

Let the discussion commence!

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Well, I just got back from watching it (Building a water rocket and finishing architectural drawings for school can take a long time) and I’ve got to say… Not what I expected, but brilliant. It was an awesome movie from beginning to end, and action-packed like a Jurassic Park film should be. The story was creative and interesting, and the dinosaurs… WOW. I highly suggest you go watch it if you haven’t.

The only problems I had with this film were 2 things: The dinosaurs. (What?! A dinosaur problem in a Jurassic Park film?! HOW?!) Let me explain: There’s too much focus on the Indominus Rex and the Raptors, which is not a bad thing, but a there could’ve been a bit more attention on the other dinos, specifically the Tyrannosaurus Rex which only appears at the last minute of the movie. There could also been a bit more focus with new dinos like the Tylosaurus (Mosasaurus) and the Pteranodons. Watching them in the trailer made me excited to see what ideas they could generate with those, but unfortunately, what comes in the trailers is the only thing we see from them (Except at the ending where the Tylosaurus eats the Indominus).

And another problem of mine is that there’s too many CGI. Yes, I am aware that they said they were gonna use animatronics for the movie, and they did but compare two scenes to the entire movie. The only animatronics I recognized that were used on the film were the shot of the dying Apatosaurus and the stilled Raptor heads; and I find this a problem because one of the things people think when “Jurassic Park” is mentioned is the dinosaur animatronics. These were amazing machines, close to real-life and they were amazing every time they were on screen, and it’s sort of disappointing that most scenes which could’ve used them are replaced with the generic CGI. It ruins the film for me.

But aside from those minor problems, I highly recommend the movie. Not what I thought I was gonna get, but it’s great. I’d say it’s a 50% entertaining movie, 50% guilty pleasure for me. But hey, The Lost World and Jurassic Park III are also my guilty pleasures so nothing lost, nothing gained.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Well, I just got back from watching it (Building a water rocket and finishing architectural drawings for school can take a long time) and I’ve got to say… Not what I expected, but brilliant. It was an awesome movie from beginning to end, and action-packed like a Jurassic Park film should be. The story was creative and interesting, and the dinosaurs… WOW. I highly suggest you go watch it if you haven’t.

The only problems I had with this film were 2 things: The dinosaurs. (What?! A dinosaur problem in a Jurassic Park film?! HOW?!) Let me explain: There’s too much focus on the Indominus Rex and the Raptors, which is not a bad thing, but a there could’ve been a bit more attention on the other dinos, specifically the Tyrannosaurus Rex which only appears at the last minute of the movie. There could also been a bit more focus with new dinos like the Tylosaurus (Mosasaurus) and the Pteranodons. Watching them in the trailer made me excited to see what ideas they could generate with those, but unfortunately, what comes in the trailers is the only thing we see from them (Except at the ending where the Tylosaurus eats the Indominus).

And another problem of mine is that there’s too many CGI. Yes, I am aware that they said they were gonna use animatronics for the movie, and they did but compare two scenes to the entire movie. The only animatronics I recognized that were used on the film were the shot of the dying Apatosaurus and the stilled Raptor heads; and I find this a problem because one of the things people think when “Jurassic Park” is mentioned is the dinosaur animatronics. These were amazing machines, close to real-life and they were amazing every time they were on screen, and it’s sort of disappointing that most scenes which could’ve used them are replaced with the generic CGI. It ruins the film for me.

But aside from those minor problems, I highly recommend the movie. Not what I thought I was gonna get, but it’s great. I’d say it’s a 50% entertaining movie, 50% guilty pleasure for me. But hey, The Lost World and Jurassic Park III are also my guilty pleasures so nothing lost, nothing gained.

Dude, I made the thread after watching Jurassic World 3D! Of course I already seen it and I want to marry this film right now.

Although, the focus of the raptors and the Indominus Rex didn’t bother me that much (it’s part of the theme in JW of course), I do agree that I wish they showed more dinosaurs cause I loved the idea of Jurassic Park being finally opened to the public and watching more people interact with the dinosaurs, which I love in this film and seeing the park made my balls dropped on the floor when I watch the Gyrosphere scene (I want one and fuck those idiots who bitch about the damn ball!) and the kids witnessing these giants beasts walking among them. The thing that I like about the Indominus Rex is not only this monster that needs to be stopped but also represents the movie industry and the whole audience and even critics as a whole. Really think about it, critics and audiences want more of the same but bigger, louder, shinnier or faster to satisfy their needs despite their obvious whining hypocrite claims of “we want originality” but once they have it, they get bore of it and move to something else. It happened with the likes of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Mad Max: Fury Road and even Pitch Perfect 2 as critics and audiences go crazy for it and for a while, they leave cause they are bored and want something else. It symbolizes how desperate we crave for something that we will eventually be bore off when suddenly, something bad will happen and once it happens, there’s no way to stop it or control what downfall the industry will face on in the future. Hell, Jurassic World establishes the theme very well with the scene with Claire saying that people are getting bored of dinosaurs and the company are desperate for more profits (the scene where Claire wants Verizon Wireless to brand the Indominus Rex also hints at the theme of the film). Also, I loved the idea of a man taming raptors cause again, there are people that can tame wild animals and of course, this idea makes sense cause the character Owen does have a strong bond with the raptors since the beginning of the film and quite frankly, I have no idea what people are getting pissed off at.

As for the overuse of the CG… Well, as much as I could agree on that statement, you need to realize that Jurassic World was in a huge development hell for decades and despite Treverrow saying that animatronics were used since Legacy Effects, a company funded by workers of Stan Winston, worked on it, it was cut short in order for the budget to not go overboard with Universal and Legendary, despite both financing the film, they were very unsure if Jurassic World would win big at the box-office with Legendary only financing the film for 20% of the budget. Since the movie is now a billion dollar success, they can improve the film if they decided to make an Extended Cut of the film that could be longer than the theatrical version (50-60 minutes of new footage would be really fucking sweet) and include all new animatronic dinosaurs for the film to use for new scenes. The CG, at times, did bother me (the scene where the people break the gate and one flying dinosaur was just kinda flying there while doing nothing, so that was a huge fuck up) but it still looked pretty damn good (the detail in the Indominus Rex looked amazing).

Speaking of development hell, try to wrap your head around this!:

https://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jurassic_World

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Well, I suppose people don’t like the “taming dinos” thing because of the reputation the Raptor has built. An uncontrollable, bloodthirsty and smart killing machine. Something that cannot be tamed by man. I’ll confess I’m part of the people who thought the “raptor taming” thing was kinda stupid. Nostalgia critic idolizes the T-Rex, I idolize the raptors. Seeing them being controlled sort of brushes off the reputation of “Run away like hell when you see them” that the Raptor had built on the 3 past movies.

Though for a movie that was stuck on development hell, it didn’t come out THAT bad. At least it wasn’t FoodFight.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Well, I suppose people don’t like the “taming dinos” thing because of the reputation the Raptor has built. An uncontrollable, bloodthirsty and smart killing machine. Something that cannot be tamed by man. I’ll confess I’m part of the people who thought the “raptor taming” thing was kinda stupid. Nostalgia critic idolizes the T-Rex, I idolize the raptors. Seeing them being controlled sort of brushes off the reputation of “Run away like hell when you see them” that the Raptor had built on the 3 past movies.

Though for a movie that was stuck on development hell, it didn’t come out THAT bad. At least it wasn’t FoodFight.

Really? Don’t these people know that even a person can tame a goddamn lion and a tigers if trained well. Alas, Foodfight was a nightmare of an idea when it began production and fell through it’s face on a gigantic pile of shit since it was made by a bunch of hacks that had no idea what the fuck they were doing on the film’s plot other than cashing in on the supermarket mascots.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@venatortundra The development hell for Jurassic Park IV could have been worst. It could have been the infamous dinosaur hybrids idea by Mark Protosevich.

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Well, there’s a huge difference between a tiger/lion and a raptor. First off, the raptor is smarter than a lion or a tiger so it could figure a way to deceive a man or hide from him. Second, there’s another difference between taming one raptor and a group of raptors. Training one is suicide enough, now imagine four.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I really enjoyed the movie and I can’t wait to add it to my collection.

Well, there’s a huge difference between a tiger/lion and a raptor. First off, the raptor is smarter than a lion or a tiger so it could figure a way to deceive a man or hide from him. Second, there’s another difference between taming one raptor and a group of raptors. Training one is suicide enough, now imagine four.

Reptiles are not animals that easily bond compared to mammals. Dogs and cats actively seek attention/companionship from their owners but pet snakes and lizards will only tolerate you.
    You could argue that raptors are more “trainable” because they acknowledge a pack hierarchy and are sociable (sort of like humans). However, you always have to project your authority and never show weakness as an alpha. I remember a woman was ill while feeding of her wolfdogs (which are pretty unpredictable animals to begin with) and they attacked/killed her.

In the end, they are genetically-spliced fictional dinosaurs so they can do what they want with the concept in my opinion.
    That clicker training shit was pretty funny though.

“Ok, so the one of the main character’s is a badass alpha male who has a pack of trained raptors.”
    “So, how does he train them?”
    “A clicker of course. Like a dog.”
    “So…they are like Dino from the Flintstones…BRILLIANT!…Let’s fund this shit! The kids will love it!”

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.