I have Writer's block… please help…

Home Forums Off Topic I have Writer's block… please help…

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 8 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

0megablaster
    Participant

Okay so for those of you who don’t know I work for a YouTube channel called Hyperblast (here’s the channel link if you wanna check out what we’ve done so far https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnZTv3P35fx2sO_vKTxDlqQ ) as the writer for the series Hyperthesis and their Top Tens. Well I ran into a tight spot here and need some help with a Top Ten list for the Top Ten Saddest/Depressing moments in gaming.
    I’m looking for the saddest moments for this list and I feel getting an extra opinion instead of it being only my own will make this Top ten even better and help me get through this Writer’s block.

For right now I only have half of them selected with #1 and #6 being reserved for my boss to add in his choices. Only leaving the #10, #8 and #5 open. So I thought what better place to get some helpful opinions on this than the CCS Forums! I’ll make sure to post the link to the video here when it’s done so you all can see how it comes out.

I hope to see some really good moments too. This is going to be one hell of a ride so buckle up because there are no brakes on the feel train! So don’t hold back!

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

The video game The Cat Lady is great for this. The intro is pretty good for this. “I have no mouth & I must scream” does a pretty good job at being over all depressing. The Blackwell Epiphany has a pretty somber moment when you find the ghost of a little girl. Danganronpa has some pretty good reveals. Deadly Premonition is good if you seen that. In Persona 4, if you date multiple characters at once, at Valentines day you can only spend it with one of them & the rest of them confront you about it. It makes you feel really bad for being a 2-timer. Fragments of Him is rather depressing, but it feels rather cheaply contrived. Corpse Party is full of intensely depressing moments. Misao (Mi-sa-o) is a cool ghost story, but a bit cliched. The Witches House is good, if you looking for the kind of sad/depressing that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Clock Tower has some brutal moments that can be said to be depressing. Devil Survivor 2 has a moment where Io Nitta just gets the worst new imaginable. Ni No Kuni has two good moments you could use.

I’ll probably write another entry later if I think of anything new.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I’m guessing you have Aeris’s death from FF7?

Silent Hill 2 can be pretty bleak and emotionally heavy in some places.

I really don’t get emotional over games.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Brothers A Tale of Two Sons has the best moment in possibly gaming history. It’s on sale on Steam right now & is only ~3 hours long. Like I seriously wanted to cuss at the game director it was so sad. It was so sad, I was angry for the game making me feel so sad. Your list won’t be complete without it.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Silent Hill has got to have some of the most emotional moments in gaming, so I’d go that route. I’ll just leave my personal picks right below:

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

0megablaster
    Participant

I’m guessing you have Aeris’s death from FF7?

Silent Hill 2 can be pretty bleak and emotionally heavy in some places.

I really don’t get emotional over games.

We are skipping Aeris’s death from FF7 because we don’t think it’s as sad anymore. It was sad for the time but times have changed.

Brothers A Tale of Two Sons has the best moment in possibly gaming history. It’s on sale on Steam right now & is only ~3 hours long. Like I seriously wanted to cuss at the game director it was so sad. It was so sad, I was angry for the game making me feel so sad. Your list won’t be complete without it.

I’ll make sure to add it to the list. I wasn’t sure if i should at first but i want to make sure the list is complete xD

These are all really good. But if you guys can find any moments even sadder make sure to post about it right away lol

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

I never cry in a video game but when beating Halo 3, it left a huge impact that pretty much left us emotionally drained and this ending is so damn powerful, it ended the trilogy perfectly while leaving no loose ends for any future installments. From the haunting uplifting score to the speech given by the General while accepting a truce to co-exist with the Elites, it is just a bowl of emotional depth you barely see in shooters now.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Also, this:

And this:

And this:

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Ah you’re good, Mr. K.

Zach’s death in Crisis Core was sadder than the FF7 version.

We are skipping Aeris’s death from FF7 because we don’t think it’s as sad anymore. It was sad for the time but times have changed.

Yeah I just thought I mention it because it is the most stereotypical “sad gaming moment”. Good on you guys for finding different examples 😉

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Here’s a sad moment from the video game Harvester. It’s kind of poorly acted, but if you played the game till this point you kind of already used to it.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Here’s a really sad death in The Longest Journey. Really great game, but I would recommend you watch an LP of it rather than play it. The moon well logic in that one is pretty bad. Great story though & great characters.

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

This is the saddest execution in Danganronpa in my opinion.

Here’s that Blackwell Epithany moment I talked about earlier.

Here’s The Cat Lady’s Intro. Funny thing, it’s not the most depressing part of the game by far.

Here’s the Persona 4 love failure compilation

Why Misao is haunting her former school mates revealed.

The Witch’s House true ending, showing how true endings are not always the best ending.

A death compliamation for Clock Tower. Lotte’s deaths are the saddest in my opinion, cause she always dies right after helping the main character. Also here are ways to get the main character killed too. They seem kind of lame by today’s standards, but are kind of cool considering how old they are.

Here’s Ellen’s reason why she’s afraid of the color yellow in I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream. Kind of stops being so depressing seeing how Ellen finally got over her fear of yellow cause of it & it ends on a kind of happy note.

Also here’s all of Dr. Nimdok’s level cause that whole level is depressing. Well the whole game of I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream is depressing, but gosh that one is really something.

I hope the time codes work.

0megablaster
    Participant

@Mr.K We actually have Zach’s death in Crisis Core on the list already. So it looks like we are already on the right track!

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Here’s a couple others I’ve scooped.

I’ll admit, this one really got to me. I thought Soup was indestructible and to see him like this… jeez…

To quote One Life Remaining, “The rainbows chips don’t fill the hole he left behind!”

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

I found the Io Nitta clip from Devil Survivor 2. SMT loves their peri-Apocalypse settings. Poor Io.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.