I am learning how to create an indie game

Home Forums Off Topic I am learning how to create an indie game

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I have recently joined an indie game developers group in my local area. The group has 80+ members and consists of meetings, discussions, and tutorials concerning indie game development. The group seems to have a good mix of veterans, hobbyists, and novices (like me!) and is associated with a local indie game studio.

They had a demo day (people bring in their games for others to test out) last month and some tutorials/discussions about audio, animation, game data, and Blender 3D (all of which I missed because I was moving). The next meeting is in June and it will be the first one I attend.

I am mainly interested in game development for Windows/OSX but I am also interested in learning about Android/iOS platforms (I want to keep my options open).

Games I would like to create include:
    1. Adventure platformer/RPG: I have a rough concept in mind for characters and gameplay style. Peripherals are basic (mouse and keyboard). Other than that, I really don’t have much else to say lol.
    2. Horror: A pretty lofty aspiration but might as well go hard or go home *shrugs*. No, it will not be one of those jumpscare-fests that are so popular (and loathed) now a days. My inspiration comes from 90’s- mid 2000’s survival horror titles, mainly Silent Hill (especially the first one) and Haunting Ground. On the plus side, I have a lot of concepts I can work from (my writings/ideas) but I think the real challenge is how to make an effective horror experience for players. I want to create an atmosphere of disorientation, disgust, and dread. Why these three things? Because they are the feelings I experience in my worst nightmares. I don’t want to say too much about the concept/story I sketched out but setting-wise, somewhere in Middle America (anywhere between Idaho to Pennsylvania, I will pick a state eventually).

This is going to be a (welcome) challenge for me. I have zero programming experience and my only skills are writing and storyboarding. However, considering the area I live in and my dream to create a game (something I wanted to do since middle school), I see this as a golden opportunity for me to gain some knowledge/expertise. I hope to network, make new friends, learn, have fun, and hopefully publish a game sometime in the future.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Well, good for you. Having an idea of what you want and how to do it is already winning half the battle. I’m not much of a programmer, I’ll admit I only know how to build a webpage in HTML (n00b), but it shouldn’t be that hard. Anyways, best of luck in your voyage.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Thanks for your kind words, Tundra.

The next meeting is about finding success so hopefully I get some good pointers there. 🙂

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Good for you, Kahuna! Also, I highly recommend Rule of Rose as inspiration for a horror game and the game has such a wonderful overlooked concept that I think it might help for your horror project.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I remember seeing Rule of Rose in stores. Ironically, I think it came out around the same time as Haunting Ground. I watched a longplay and its not bad setting up the whole “creepy kid” idea and making a interesting narrative. Too bad the dog died 🙁 lol

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.