I Am Done With Hollywood!

Home Forums Off Topic I Am Done With Hollywood!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant

I just want to say this out on the internet anonymously, I am done with Hollywood! It seems that these executive morons don’t seem to learn anything at all, especially successes like Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool and failures like Battleship and TMNT: Out of the Shadows. 2016 has now become the worst year for ticket sales in America. Hollywood is now desperately trying to appeal to international audiences, especially to China and Russia. I don’t know, I don’t care about the latest movies anymore. The blockbuster crassy popcorn movies seem to get dumber every year, even on the other side of the spectrum where the masturbatory, esoteric, artsy-fartsy movies like whose purpose are to earn an Oscar, like The Danish Girl are just unwatchable.

For a long time I wanted to become a filmmaker, but now it seems stupid as I have lost interest for cinema. Why buy a DVD or Blu-Ray of a movie when you can buy a good book that endures forever. Here is a documentary about contemporary Russian books with host Stephen Fry. Literature is my passion.

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Good thing there’s indie/foreign films!

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

The problem with Holywood is not really the abundance of sequels, reboots, adaptations or remakes (like I said on earlier threads regarding topics like this, I don’t mind it as long as the product is great with filmmakers knowing what they’re doing when making these types of movies) but they are just betting on not only nostalgia leeching (Ghostbusters reboot) or brand recognition (Disney’s awful live-action based animated films) but are getting desperate and jump on trends to please certain demographics to not lose face to the public while the more interesting stuff like indie films are getting more recognition because the filmmakers are allowed to make the film they wanted to make. Just look at The Witch when Robert Eggers pitched the film to many top studios but all of them turned them down because his film didn’t have jumpscares and only Lionsgate Premiere with the help of DirecTV Cinema was he able to get the necessary funding for his film. It goes to show that Hollywood are just run by idiots with no clue on how to do their research in the film’s market and try everything in their power to stay relevant.

As for originality in Hollywood, even if they started to hire filmmakers to make original films, it would still fall flat in their faces because they would rather hire people that take original engaging ideas for a movie by turning it into the most pandering, lazy and safe driven way possible. Movies like Selfless, The Purge, Criminal, Gods of Egypt, The Loft and Unfriended are good examples as to why even original films all the times can lead to disaster if handled by the wrong people. Hollywood needs to evaluate their ethics and choices when it comes to greenlighting projects by releasing movies that balances original projects with sequels, reboots, remakes & adaptations rather than releasing fewer original movies every year while Hollywood can learn from each newly released film and start making by making the industry more friendly to work (when I mean friendly, it means to the filmmakers to be allowed to make the films they want without big wigs execs assholes interfering and changing their movie to please moronic audience members). That way, it can bring out more talented individuals to allow themselves to make movies they want and possible create an era where we can have both great things going for with a few hiccups and set-backs.

That’s all I can think off regarding to this topic.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Even with foreign films, it still won’t help since audiences and critics complain about foreign films because “boo-hoo! I have to read subtitles!” when all you need is to watch the actions of the characters that allows us to understand the context of the story:

Or the fact people will eat any bullshit gimmick up since “it’s such a filmmaking marvel!” or my favorite “wow, this movie has such blatant social commentary on cyber-bullying, it must be true about Internet being evil!”

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.