Hey look! Another "Internet is evil!" movie with anti-bullying message!

Home Forums Off Topic Hey look! Another "Internet is evil!" movie with anti-bullying message!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jake_L Jake_L 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

God, I need some sake

Attachments:

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Ghosts are a mythology very close to my heart. I’ve been reading a lot of World of Darkness rule books lately and the mere premise of this movie annoys me. A ghost connected to the internet is a really cool kind of creature. It can make your life hell very easily & erase any supernatural elements pretty easily. The fact they can see ghost code is such a huge misstep. The ghost being able to mess with everything connected to the internet is the scary part. It can easily turn everyone against you and make everyone around you just thinks you gone crazy. You don’t need gore or insects, you just need to make the victim feel just as alone and ostracized as the ghost felt. The ghost shouldn’t be attacking the main character, it should be trying to drive her to suicide via social media manipulation & making her look guilty & insane. The main character should either be driven to commit suicide in the end or turn Amish. I would understand the ghost doing some jump scares, but this ghost should not be directly attacking her victims at all. She wasn’t murdered, she committed suicide.

Ghosts are supposed to use methods similar to how they died to give the story a theme. Ghost stories focus should be on the death and how that death was so horrible it made the spirit of the person stay on this plane & gave it the power to work its revenge. Currently, this ghost only has teenage angst & being unpopular fueling it. If that was all it took to make a ghost the world would have been overrun-ed with ghosts centuries ago.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

…this is a joke, right? This HAS to be a joke. No one is that stupid to make a fucking horror movie involving Facebook on it, right?

…RIGHT?!

But I digress, this is why I fucking hate my generation. People have become so attached to technology it’s gotta be involved in everything now. “Oh no, this girl who I’ve only spoken 2 times has unfriended me on Facebook, I’ve gotta kill her, YA YA YA YA YA!” But then again, watching how slowly the horror genre is dying with remakes and mediocre sequels, I can understand why studios are trying to reach a new branch in horror… but it just comes out as pathetic. There’s a lot of good ideas and new fields that can be taken for that, BUT NO, PEOPLE WANT FACEBOOK GHOSTS AND SKYPE GHOULS. I can see how using social media to harass and bully someone could be used as a weapon, but I’m gonna spill the beans: this problem is extremely blown out of proportion. There’s someone who’s insulting you online? USE A DIFFERENT ACCOUNT. Are you being harassed on Facebook? TURN OFF THE COMPUTER. Someone’s sending pics of his penis online? REPORT HIM AND GO ON A DIFFERENT SOCIAL NETWORK. Is the world of the internet too cruel and vile for you? THEN GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY IN THE PARK.

If this is the new field for ghost movies, I’ve gotta say these are some very weak and lame ghosts.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Devilboy06
    Devilboy06
    Participant
    Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

Eh. Horror movies (much like horror games) don’t do anything for me anymore. The last game that got my panic up was Alien Isolation, but then it outstayed its welcome and I’ve had a (slightly) lesser opinion of Dan Abnett. Before that it was Dead Space 2 and that was more action horror (as it should be, because it’s a sequel) and that got me going because holy FUCK is the gap between normal difficulty and hard difficulty is the steepest thing ever. Like going from /b/ to /d/.

I digress, apologies. While I’m looking forward to a few fright flicks, this looks bad. The concept is bad. The execution will probably be bad. It’s gonna tank and it will ruin the careers of all involved. Way to go, Hollywood!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.