Ghost In The Shell Live-Action Movie?

Home Forums Off Topic Ghost In The Shell Live-Action Movie?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by LaughingMan LaughingMan 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

I was on a friends Facebook account recently and they posted an article about Dreamworks making a live-action Ghost In The Shell movie with Scarlett Johannsen as the lead and directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman). As far as I can tell, they haven’t started production yet.

I will admit, I am not the biggest GITS fan (I watched Stand Alone Complex on Adult Swim years ago and a movie on Starz) but I do think it is interesting when Hollywood takes a step into the anime/manga/video game/comic book/graphic novel realm. I remember hearing rumors a while back about a Cowboy Bebop (love that anime) adaptation staring Keanu Reeves as Spike Spiegel but nothing has come out of it (not sure if that is a good or bad thing).

Well, what do you guys think? Do you have an ideal dream cast/director for this movie? Did you ever want to see an media franchise you love adapted into a movie?

I am curious to hear your thoughts.

(Yeah, first forum topic post)

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

Honestly not sure how they’re gonna handle the special effects very well since they fired like all their animators so mehhhhhhhh *rolls away*

…I am bitter about Dreamworks currently :V

Hmm, I personally can’t really see it doing well, one of the things that attracted me to GITS in the first place was the animation and how beautiful and well done it was. Live action is going to lose that feeling, even if it’s very well written and cast. I mean obviously the animation wasn’t the only thing that GITS going for it, but I dunno.

This just seems like a money grab to me. Which isn’t surprising and yet I am still disappointed. 😡

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I’ve heard that Stephen Spielberg wanted to do a live action Ghost in the Shell for a long while, so it’s not a new idea necessarily. It could be a great movie, but I’d guess that it would be dumbed-down action schlock just to get the asses in seats.

The masses: “Fuck the philosophical and moral quandaries that surpass even Science Fiction legend Phillip K Dick. WE WANTS TEH GUNS AND EXPLODIES!”

Just compare the last Transformers movie box office earnings to Interstellar, and cry for humanity.

… either that or people will be like “this movie is ripping off The Matrix”, at which point I’ll be staring longfully at a handful of sleeping pills.

*sigh* As much as I want to be a skeptic, I’m a cynic when it comes to Hollywood. So personally I’d have been more optimistic if Christopher Nolan took the helm of Ghost in the Shell. I think he’s one of the few directors who could actually give the source material some justice. But I’ll have to wait and see.

So what about your thoughts on the ‘white-washing’ of the Major? I hear that’s starting a negative buzz in the GITS community.

And welcome to the Internet Nobodies Forum (Beta), KahunaDrake!

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Wow, thanks for your warm welcome and response, LM 🙂

Jesus, my mother dragged me to watch the last Transformers (precious time I will not get back LOL).

Mom: But it has Mark Walhberg in it!!!

Me: I don’t care. I can’t get over the godawful mess that was the second film!

I agree that Chris and Jonathan Nolan could do the work justice (ever seen their show Person of Interest on CBS, really good) but I don’t know about the casting of Scarlet. I always saw the Major being a beautiful, strong woman of Asian decent if she were to be cast but I guess as long as the actor they chose is faithful/understands the character, it could work.

Make me want to watch the original movie (I haven’t seen it yet. I watched the second one, Innocence, and I thought it was really cool).

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Yikes, didn’t know about that.

Yeah, GITS was a visual experience for me so I do not know how that will translate. Also, I believe that the themes and concepts that the show explores should be faithfully represented as well.

If this movie is just SJ looking sexy, explosions, and whatnot then I will be disappoint.

Come on, Hollywood, don’t be afraid to go beneath the surface!

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

“So what about your thoughts on the ‘white-washing’ of the Major? I hear that’s starting a negative buzz in the GITS community.”

From what I understand, it’s mostly the ‘head in clouds’ Tumblr-ites who are causing a ruckus. Again.

Personally, I couldn’t care less. What people are forgetting is that Dreamworks isn’t just making a live-action adaptation of GiTS. They’re effectively making an American remake. And those have a history of changing the setting from wherever country the original took place to the US. Just look at Spike Lee’s remake of Old Boy. The original (brilliant film, by the way) takes place in South Korea while the remake takes place in… New York, I believe? Betcha no one caused any uproar about Josh Brolin replacing Choi Min-sik, did they?

Plus, Ghost in the Shell kinda has a history of changing its setting. The original mange takes place in Japan, while Mamoru Oshii’s film is set in Hong Kong. Thus, the Major, Batou, Togusa, etc. are effectively Chinese now. But then you have Stand Alone Complex that takes the show back to Japan. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if they decide to set the American version in Neo-New York or something similar. Perhaps even have a Blade Runner thing where the design of the city is a visual mix of Western and Eastern architecture.

But this is all minutia, really. What worries me is that the film is being helmed by the creative visionary who’s brought us friggin’ Snow White and the Huntsman. Needless to say, a cerebral concept like Ghost in the Shell could use a director who has a track record of creating more highbrow films than that. A Christopher Nolan or a David Fincher could take the concept and turn it into a potentially successful action film with hints of briliance. But of course, that’s not what the audiences want. They’ll probably just want lots of hacking scenes and the final scene from the 1st movie where the Major fights off against a giant scorpion tank stretched out into 45 minutes.

Chances are, this is what the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie will look like.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

@Robocop: Oh crap, those last few seconds reminded me a bit too much of the Major tearing the hatch off of the spider tank (or trying to).
    *sigh*

@White-washing vs localization: I can see where you’re coming from (Japanese, Chinese, etc) but I dunno, I always felt like Ghost in the Shell had a distinctly East Asian vibe. The world, the customs, and especially the ‘style’ of the technology (bi-pedal ED-209s vs cloaking Spider Tanks). But this is just what I’m used to, and that’s a weak argument for or against something.

Luckily the philosophical themes of Ghost in the Shell are fairly universal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Unfortunately, such complex themes might go over the heads of Joe-popcorn, so we’ll get something ridiculously dumbed down, like “gotta stop the turr-ur-ists” in a frantic shakey-cam CGI fest. Basically, instead of the pacing and metaphorical scenes (Motoko swimming in the ocean), we’ll be getting “Winter Soldier” (not a slam on Winter Soldier, but it’s a summer action flick that doesn’t hold a candle to GITS).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.