First Folio Tour

Home Forums Off Topic First Folio Tour

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by VelcroRaptor VelcroRaptor 2 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    VelcroRaptor
    VelcroRaptor
    Participant

I don’t know if anyone else here is into performing arts like me or wants to be a playwright, but the Folger Shakespeare Library of Washington, a library that has over 80 of William Shakespeare’s First Folio’s has decided to take one of his folios on tour! They plan on going to Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, the District of Columbia, and every state in 2016 (sorry Europe/Canada/everywhere else), in honor of the 400th anniversary of the Bard’s death.

What’s really exciting about the folio is that while the 36 plays within are ones we’ve known about for a long time, the original scripts and verses are a bit different than what some of us might’ve read in high school; some of Hamlet’s words in his soliloquy, for example, aren’t quite what you might remember. It’s a wonderful glimpse into Shakespeare’s mind when he was first publishing his plays and how his works changed and adapted over time.

The first link below is a list of cities that the book will be touring with some information, while the second article, although a bit older, has extra information on the folio and the library that owns it! I honestly hope I’m not the only person excited for this, but if I am, oh well, right? XD

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/02/26/shakespeares-first-folios-are-set-to-travel/
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/07/08/shakespeare-to-exit-the-vault/

“We're actors — we're the opposite of people!”
    ― Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

That’s cool!
    I didn’t even know we had his folios over here.
    I thought they were all in the U.K. Shows how much I know lol.

I am somewhat curious about what got lost in translation from the original writings to modern day.

Before high school and college, my initial exposure to Shakespeare was Disney’s Gargolyes series. Hell, Macbeth was one of the main villains and Puck/Titania/Oberon were featured as well.

Do you plan to see the folio in your state, Velcro?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

VelcroRaptor
    VelcroRaptor
    Participant

Honestly, I thought England had all of the folios as well, except for the one found in Paris last year. >>; I think it’s a common misconception.

Disney did use a lot of Shakespeare references in their shows and movies, didn’t they? Sure, The Lion King was Hamlet in a nutshell with a happy ending, but they had an episode with Mickey Mouse and the gang for A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which was weirdly accurate. XD

And yes, I’m planning to go! It’s a bit of a drive, and I’ll have to go to College Station of all places (Why Aggie territory? Gross!), but I wouldn’t miss a chance like this to see and read the real deal.

“We're actors — we're the opposite of people!”
    ― Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.