Fav Quotes

Home Forums Off Topic Fav Quotes

This topic contains 96 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by KahunaDrake KahunaDrake 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

So in a skeptics forum I frequent we have a topic called Fav quotes (and its counterpart Fail quotes) where we post quotes, articles, and even videos that we like (the video has to have spoken words though :P). For example

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Hmm, never played.

How’s this for a quote?:

“Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid! Movies, books, T.V., music-They’re all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!”

Good video by the way.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

Uh oh a topic about quotes? Shit dude you just opened Pandora’s Box up in here get ready for walls of text :V Seriously though, recently I have been going through my favorite book ‘The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius’, and marking all my favorite passages with sticky notes. I would like to share all 500 of my favorites but I guess I should probably narrow it down to only a handful :p

Book 4, passages 7 and 8:
    Take away your judging thought, and then there is taken away the complaint ‘I have been harmed’. Take away the complaint ‘I have been harmed’, and the harm is taken away. That which does not make a man worse then he was also does not make his life worse. Nor does it harm him either from without or from within.

Book 4, passage 19:
    He who has a vehement desire for posthumous fame does not consider that every one of those who remember him will himself also die very soon, then likewise they who succeed them, until the whole remembrance of him shall have been extinguished, as a transmission through men who foolishly admire and perish. But even if you imagine that those who will remember are immortal, and that the remembrance will be immortal, what then is this to you? And I do not say merely what is it to the dead, but what is it to the living?

Book 4, passage 49:
    “I am unhappy because this has happened to me!” No. Say instead, “I am happy though this has happened to me, because I endue it free from pain, neither crushed by the present nor fearing the future.”
    For such a thing as this might have happened to any man, but not every man would have endured it free from pain on such an occasion. Why then is that experience taken to be a misfortune any more then your ability to endure it is a good fortune? And do you in all cases call that which is not a deviation from man’s nature a man’s misfortune? And does a thing seem to you to be a deviation from man’s nature when it is not contrary to the will of man’s nature?
    Well, you know the will of nature. Will then this that has happened prevent you from being just, magnanimous, temperate, prudent, secure against inconsiderate opinions and falsehood? Will it prevent you from having modesty, freedom, and everything else by the presence of which man’s nature is fulfilled? Remember too on every occasion that leads you to vexation to apply this principle: not that this is a misfortune, but that to bear it nobly is good fortune.

Book 4, passage 50:
    It is a vulgar but still a useful help towards contempt of death to pass in review those who have tenaciously stuck to life. What more then have they gained than those who have died early? Certainly they lie in their tombs somewhere at last; Cadicianus, Fabius, Julianus, Lepidus, or any one else like them, who have carried out many to be buried, and then were carried out themselves. Altogether the interval is small between birth and death, and consider with how much trouble, and in company with what sort of people and in what a feeble body this interval is laboriously passed.
    Do not then consider life a thing of any value. For look to the immensity of time behind you, and to the time which is before you, another boundless space. In this infinity then, what is the difference between him who lives three days, and him who lives three generations?

Book 8, passage 36:
    Do not disturb yourself by thinking of the whole of mans life. Let not your thoughts at once embrace all the various troubles which you may expect to befall you: but on every occasion ask yourself, “What is there in this which is intolerable and past bearing?” For you will be ashamed to confess.
    In the next place remember that neither the future nor the past pains you, but only the present. But this is reduced to a very little, if you only circumscribe it appropriately, and chide your mind if it is unable to hold out against even this.

Book 10, passage 32:
    Let it not be in any man’s power to say truly of you that you are not simple or that you are not good; but let him be a liar whoever shall think anything of this kind about you; and this is altogether in you power. For who is he that shall hinder you from being good and simple?

I am probably way too into Stoicism whoops 😡 These are only a couple of the ones that really stuck with me~

Arcangel
    Arcangel
    Participant

I think we should turn this into a daily thing (If we remember)! Post one quote from each of us a day, citing who said it and what it’s from. That’d be pretty fun, and provide more incentive to visit the site each day. Whatcha guys think? I’ll go first!

“People are stupid. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it’s true or because they are afraid it’s true.”
    -Wizards First Rule, as told by Zedd, in the book ‘Wizards First Rule’, Sword of Truth series

“Perhaps the most tragic thing about mankind is that we are all dreaming about some magical garden over the horizon, instead of enjoying the roses that are right outside today.”
    ― Andrew Carnegie

Gizmo
    Gizmo
    Participant

“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.” ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

and

“Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company.”
    ― Mark Twain

"Would you rather die a hero, or live long enough to see your self become the villian?"

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

Ohh, a daily quotes thing sounds like a great idea 😀 I like it~

Think I’d better skip today since I posted so many yesterday tho, haha

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

I would like to point out that images and videos count, they just have to have words in them

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Personal favorite:

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

“Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid! Movies, books, T.V., music-They’re all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!”

*standing ovation*

Reminds me of what I swear is an H.P. Lovecraft’s quote: “People who enjoy movies and books don’t enjoy life.”
    Can’t confirm that, sadly, so here’s a better one:

“The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.”
    H. P. Lovecraft

VelcroRaptor
    VelcroRaptor
    Participant

“The Savage nodded, frowning. “You got rid of them. Yes, that’s just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether ’tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows or outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them…But you don’t do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It’s too easy.”

…”What you need,” the Savage went on, “is something with tears for a change. Nothing costs enough here.”
    ― Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

“We're actors — we're the opposite of people!”
    ― Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

Arcangel
    Arcangel
    Participant

Well that caught on faster than I expected. Sweet! 😀

Day 2

“A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve. Not the desire to beat others.” -Ayn Rand

And because everybody seems to be following a theme of 2 quotes….

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” -Ayn Rand

“Perhaps the most tragic thing about mankind is that we are all dreaming about some magical garden over the horizon, instead of enjoying the roses that are right outside today.”
    ― Andrew Carnegie

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

“I will accept any rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

*Takes a bow*

It is from Johnny the Homicidal Maniac by Jhonen Vasquez (one of my fav comics/graphic novels). Highly recommended read considering the themes/topics/humor on this site.

On a side note: My log-in issues are fixed! Yay! Thanks!!!

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Arcangel
    Arcangel
    Participant

Day 3

“The man who lets a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to a scrap heap.” -Still Ayn Rand

“The media has changed. We now give broadcast licenses to philosophies instead of people. People get confused and think there is no difference between news and entertainment. People who project themselves as journalists on television don’t know the first thing about journalism. They are just there stirring up a hockey game.”
    -Gary Ackermam

― Andrew Carnegie

Gizmo
    Gizmo
    Participant

I missed a few days so here’s mine:

“You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” Coined in the movie “The Dark Knight Rises” by Harvey Dent, A.k.a. Two-Face.

"Would you rather die a hero, or live long enough to see your self become the villian?"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.