Civil War review (NO SPOILERS)

Home Forums Off Topic Civil War review (NO SPOILERS)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by V-Tundra V-Tundra 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Wait, how is that possible?! Well, Civil War premiered last night on Mexico and me and a couple of friends bought our tickets to see if Marvel could hold up better. I won’t give out too many details but I will say this: This is nothing like the comics. None of the key moments are present in the film, the main conflict of the “civil war” is a mash between the Superhero Registration Act (known as The Sokovia Accords) and a too detailed plot involving Bucky and a new villain; and to be honest; the ending is to ambiguous to know who is the victor here. In the eyes of the fight, Captain America is the winner; but in retrospect to the status of The Avengers, it seems Iron Man was the one who won.

But is it that bad? I’ll be honest, this was an awesome movie. Even with the extensive changes to the original story, there is a very cool story created with the elements that were given with the past Marvel movies. As low as the supposed conflict has been toned down, you can actually relate to the character’s emotions and why they picked the side they’re in (Except for a few). The action is again, groundbreaking. The Avengers fight scene was just amazing, from beginning to end. Does it deserve to be called “Civil War”? No, it doesn’t; but does it deserve to be called something that could rift the Avengers? Absolutely. There’s even a few nods that are actually pretty well recreated from the comic book (Tony Stark being insulted by a mother at the beginning of the comic book, Iron Man using his suit to study Cap’s fighting moves and use them against him, etc); and the new characters (more specifically Spider-Man and Black Panther) were amazing. Every second they’re on screen, chills run down my spine.

The movie does have flaws: It feels more of an Avengers film than a Captain America one, some characters lack a motive on why they choose a side, the main villain is a bit bland which could’ve had A LOT of improvement and again, the ending of the film is very ambiguous; you won’t know who was the true victor here, and perhaps that’s something good; that there’s no right/wrong on the team. After all, they both fight for what’s best, but it’s the approach that concerns everyone. Despite not being what many expected it to be, it’s still a very entertaining movie, and I do recommend you check it out when it comes.

BTW, On what side are you? I’ve always found myself on Iron Man’s side. Not the capturing and killing your best friends and labeling them as criminals, but I do support the basic ideology on which the pro-registration group is formed.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

I won’t give out too many details but I will say this: This is nothing like the comics. None of the key moments are present in the film, the main conflict of the “civil war” is a mash between the Superhero Registration Act (known as The Sokovia Accords) and a too detailed plot involving Bucky and a new villain; and to be honest; the ending is to ambiguous to know who is the victor here. […]

But is it that bad? I’ll be honest, this was an awesome movie.

This seems to be the popular consensus, based on everything I’ve read online so far. The film’s plot has very little to do with the actual Civil War storyline. Instead, they just called the movie that ‘cos the Avengers are split down the middle ‘cos of a complex issue, with Captain America and Iron Man representing the two different viewpoints.

Eh, as long as the movie itself is good (or at least as good as The Winter Soldier), I can live with that. Can’t be any worse than Murder Man v Captain Collateral Damage: Dawn of Just-Awful. Speaking of which… *foreshadowing* B]

CineMax
    CineMax
    Participant

Alright. So I actually got a chance to watch this movie over the weekend, and here’s a brief summary of my thoughts I’d shared with LaughingMan and Katie:

Meanwhile, I got to see Civil War tonight. I’ve gotta be honest: I’d actually recommend watching the movie. ‘Cos it was everything that BvS wasn’t. It had a coherent story that you could follow, it had a main villain whose motivation was clear (and even relatable to some degree), and the conflict between Captain America and Iron Man was an ideological one — not a dumb 10 minute long action sequence where Cap beats Iron Man over the head with a sink.

In fact, the movie really only needed these two characters: Captain America and Iron Man. ‘Cos the two have a great arc where they become polar opposites of who they were in the beginning of the MCU. Captain America turns from an idealistic boyscout who goes along with everything that the government says into an anarchic vigilante who believes that politics and oversight will only complicate his work. Meanwhile, Tony Stark goes from being a devil may care billionaire playboy to a visionary who’s more concerned about his legacy — making sure that he can put his genius to good use to better humanity.

The rest of the Avengers? Eh. They’re just there so that we can have the massive WWE style brawl between them in the middle of the movie. It’s not even really clear why some of them decide to follow either Cap or Iron Man.

Oh, and the movie’s much darker than any of the previous Marvel movies. In a good Justice League: Doom kind of way, not the retarded “Do you bleed?” Zack Snyder nonsense. Not sure if the Marvel Cinematic Universe can even go back to happy go-lucky PG-13 Disney bullshit after this. Which IMO: Is a good thing.

…and a quick P.S. about the new version of everyone’s favorite web-slinger:

Probably the biggest (positive) surprise for me was Spider-Man, though.

I’d feared that they were just gonna shoehorn him in just to introduce him into the MCU somehow. And to some extend they did… buuuuuuuuuut the kid they got to play him nails the part. Like, this is the Spider-Man I grew up with.

Amazing how Marvel got the character right in ~20 minutes of screentime while Sony has been consistently failing for more than a decade.

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

BvS had me puking for 5 minutes straight, one can only take so much bullshit; but I really enjoyed this film. Hell, I’ve re-watched it 3 times already.

Speaking of Marvel movies, I am a bit concerned about Doctor Strange, the guy directing it is Scott Derrickson. The same guy who directed Deliver us from evil, Sinister, The exorcism of Emily Rose and the horrible chop-my-balls-off The day the earth stood still remake.

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.