Ask After Hours

Home Forums CCS After Hours Ask After Hours

This topic contains 50 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by MachinizerXS MachinizerXS 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

So Max and I have been trying to find cool ways to jazz up After Hours a little, and make it sound like a REAL podcast (Penn’s Sunday School, etc) just for kicks. The ‘sponsor’ intro sort of fell to the way-side (except the time someone was complaining about our discussion on Twitter, and ended up retweeting our post, INCLUDING the #fleshlight tag, THEN got irate because we “made him” Tweet #fleshlight).

The ads in the middle were fun for a while, but the jokes quickly evaporated.

But something we’ve had fun doing is answering fan-mail. And while we answer most questions to our Patreon followers in the live-streams (sorry for missing the last one, btw, net was down all Saturday) we thought we’d collect fan Q&A here to be read on the AH.

Something we’re looking for specifically are interesting questions. Stuff like “What’s your favorite anime/movie/song/color/car/animal/soup/sushi-roll/etc” are kinda boring. The best questions with the best potential answers will get read at the end of new After Hours episodes. Just keep it (sort of) clean 😉

VelcroRaptor
    VelcroRaptor
    Participant

Oh man, I hope this doesn’t get too crazy too fast! XD I’ll throw a few out there.

What’s the strangest comment/email you’ve ever read or received?
    What are your day jobs?
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?
    If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?

“We're actors — we're the opposite of people!”
    ― Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?

Attachments:
    KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Where do you guys see CCS (or even yourselves) in 5 years?

If you can travel anywhere, where would you go and why?

If you won a million dollars, what would you do?

What was the most defining moment of your life (so far)?

What new CCS content can we expect in the future?

Wow, these questions are pretty heavy.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

Where do you guys see CCS (or even yourselves) in 5 years?

If you can travel anywhere, where would you go and why?

If you won a million dollars, what would you do?

What was the most defining moment of your life (so far)?

What new CCS content can we expect in the future?

Wow, these questions are pretty heavy.

*evil ideas are coming to mind }:D *

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

*is nervous*

I forgot to add a question for y’all (It was midnight, i’m sorry).

If you had 24 hrs left to live, what would you do during that time period?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

About women being gamers, do you think there may be more stigma coming from other women or people outside of the community saying “Oh your a gamer? Ugh thats so childish.” I doubt men within the community would not want women to play games because A. Who wants anything to be a sausage fest? and B. How else are they going to reproduce? xD

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

As Nick Yee suggests in his book, “The Proteus Paradox” the fact that a lot of women don’t game is largely a social issue, not a lack of desire. It’s not really marketed to them over, say, beauty products and spas. Sounds sexist, but that’s largely the key player in how it’s preceived, much like the Nintendo Wii / Wii U commercials are geared towards families. In the 90’s, video games were largely marketed to boys. Same with Ninja Turtles and what-have-you. However for girls they’re marketed Barbies and anything in eye-rupturing-pink. It’s not hard to find such ads on Google and YouTube.

Adults are equally as suseptible to gender-targeted marketing, saying “you’re a productive woman who has a lot on her plate, but your socially acceptable luxury is to put on makeup and take mud-baths, not beat Metroid.”

Have you seen a game commercial where a small group of young adult woman are playing video games without male company?
    I haven’t either.

So yeah, there’s girl gamers, but essentially we’re all mindless sheeple we follow trends according to what the media deems is a social norm. (my own words, not Nick Yee’s)

http://www.amazon.com/Proteus-Paradox-Online-Virtual-Us%C2%97/dp/0300190999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423681725&sr=8-1&keywords=the+proteus+paradox

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

So yeah, there’s girl gamers, but essentially we’re all mindless sheeple we follow trends according to what the media deems is a social norm. (my own words, not Nick Yee’s)

I can agree with this statement, the media often influences what hobbies or interests people take part in. In fact I’d bet that there are quite a few ladies who enjoy games but just never openly discuss it in public, because they’ve somehow been convinced that video games are for guys only.

Although, stigma against female gamers may only really exist in certain environments. When I was going to art college pretty much everybody was a gamer, guys and girls alike. Almost everyone had some sort of video game related paraphernalia on their laptops or backpacks or even bodies sometimes (some of my friends have pretty rad game-themed tattoos). They were all very open with their interests, but then again, that was art school. People in art school tend to have open minds, being creative types and all that.

Honestly since graduating from high school I haven’t come across a single guy who is the stereotypical dude-bro Halo-playing type. I hear a lot of whining that video game culture is rife with these people, but in my experience they’re pretty hard to find. Unless you seek them out, in games such as Halo or COD or whatever.

And if you do that then who is at fault here, really? :V It’d be like going to 4chan and being surprised that fucked up shit is posted there. Duh people.

Anyways with that out of the way, here’s a (hopefully) fun question for ya:
    If you wrote an auto-biography, what would the title be and why?

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Just my two cents:

I never felt any stigmatism due to my gaming interests. It either wasn’t a big deal, it was cool, or it was a desirable trait. The media can influence social trends but with the recent phenomenon of embracing nerd culture, it seems like a non-issue. If someone told me I was a loser or less of a woman if I liked games, I would just tune them out. Marketing will always appeal to the target market the advertisers want to reach. In regards to gaming, that target group is largely male. I just think people should like what they like, regardless of other people’s opinions.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

PandaWarlock
    PandaWarlock
    Participant

Honestly, sentence “I don’t want girls playing my video games” when put into gamer mouth is so wrong, it can start it’s own kickstarter campaign. I mean come on! Which of you male gamers never dreamed about saying “hey, want to play X at my place?”. And even more so when you’re already in relationship. How infinitely better it is when your better half instead of “Ugh, you’re playing those stupid games again” goes “Wanna play together?”. I’m in such a luck my fiancée is a gamer, though on more casual side. That doesn’t mean she plays the sims or tycoons, but rather I’m always being asked to “beat that hard boss” or “complete that infuriating part of the game” for her. ^^

But wait wait, the thread went off tracks! Let’s ask some questions then, shall we? The “girl in gaming” can be put in another thread to discuss further.

What is the thing that most irritate you in movies/games/comics/books? You know, that device which makes you go “Ugh! They’re not doing THAT again, right?”. Like when suddenly it turns out the whole thing was just a dream or something is a complete disregard to common sense?
    Also, is there something that just makes you salivate when you find out about it appearing in media described above? Certain way of telling the story/hero/villain/plot twist?

Do you like playing games when you’re the bad guy? Not many of them, sadly. Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, Evil Genius games,. Things where you’re that badass feeding the holier-than-thous self-righteous hacks some knuckle sandwiches. I find them very interesting, because it’s not easy to make a convincing, interesting villain, and to set him as protagonist? Now that’s a hard task to pull off.

Jakob Morris
    Jakob Morris
    Participant

You know what grinds my gears? People who say that debating people who may be absolutely wrong serves to legitimize their views or that it “gives a platform for their wonky opinions.” I understand if you grow apathetic to debating people. That’s perfectly fine, but dont go swinging your cock around saying that some people, even if they are completely wrong, aren’t worth being challenged or debated. Fuck them. Your thoughts? xD

Excidius
    Excidius
    Participant

To what length does one have to go to eventually make an appearance on the Podcast?

Sorry.

But Rúmil said: ‘Excidius was the first beginning, and beyond that no wisdom of the Valar or of Eldar or of Men can go.’

'Who was Excidius?' said Eriol. 'Was he of the Gods?'

'Nay,' said Rúmil, 'that he was not, for he made them. Excidius is the Lord for Always who dwells beyond the world; who made it and is not of it or in it, but loves it.'

VelcroRaptor
    VelcroRaptor
    Participant

That’s perfectly fine, but dont go swinging your cock around saying that some people, even if they are completely wrong, aren’t worth being challenged or debated.

Truer eloquence has never before been stated. Absolutely beautiful, good sir. XD

If you folks in CSS could only play video games made by one developer or company, who would it be? Explain, and try to persuade us into picking the same.

“We're actors — we're the opposite of people!”
    ― Tom Stoppard, "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

Why name yourselves after the Cheshire Cat?

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.