Any suggestions or tips for starting a podcast?

Home Forums Off Topic Any suggestions or tips for starting a podcast?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  0megablaster 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

0megablaster
    Participant

Recently some friends and I decided to start up a podcast called “The Streamcast Podcast” (many of you probably heard me talk about it already in other posts on here). We even have the first episode recorded but now we don’t know how we should put it together. Should we try making it like CCS works out of respect for them (since they were the inspiration for me to really start this) or should I take it in a different direction?

I’m looking for any tips or suggestions to make this podcast I’m starting Great! So feel free to tell me what you wanna see from us. We want to hear what you have to say. So no idea is really a bad idea within reason.

So I hope to hear some great things from this. But if not we do still have plans of our own to work with so don’t worry. We are not going into this blind.

Don’t hold back anything. This will be fun!

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

LaughingMan
    LaughingMan
    Keymaster

I’m no expert on the subject, but here’s a few pearls of wisdom that Max and the rest of the crew have discussed in the past.

Firstly: “Don’t be afraid to try different things, and don’t be afraid to fail”
    No joke, each of us had failed web series before uniting under the CCS banner and finding something that seemed to illicit a positive reaction. The trick is to simply learn from mistakes, and don’t be afraid to move on to something better.

My second pearl is: “Make something that you and your co-creators find fun/funny/entertaining”
    Because if it’s not something entertaining to you, it’s not going to be entertaining to anyone else.

Third pearl: “Don’t be rigid, be open to constructive criticisms because it’ll make your show stronger”
    We got a fairly positive reaction for the second CCS Video Podcast episode from DeadHorseInterchange.com, but it had some critiques that we certainly considered as they addressed quite a few glaring issues that desperately needed fixed.

Also, we made our share of enemies by offering similar critiques on others’ videos, simply because of thin-skinned creators who think that their alarm clock ‘jump out of bed’ scene -that looked like a 60 second drunken crawl from the sheets- wasn’t Bugs Bunny-esque comedy gold.

Sorry, had to vent about people with fragile egos of Phil Fish proportions. Egos can be bruised, no doubt, but there’s a difference between stirring up shit, and trying to offer genuine constructive criticisms that might be worth a second look.

0megablaster
    Participant

Thanks for the tips. Coincidentally enough we talked about taking criticisms and developers having thin skin on the first episode we recorded. We do understand how to take criticism properly and we know what to do when there is plenty of it. So that shouldn’t be a big issue. Thanks for venting on the subject of fragile egos. It definitely let’s me know that what we talk about on the podcast are topics people want to hear. So I hope you’ll check out the first episode when it goes up.

We live to play and let's players play to live. Life isn't easy but it sure is fun.

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Hmmm… I once tried to make a podcast, but I got bored and I didn’t have a lot of people with whom to debate, or any subject to debate on, or any equipment to make it with (All I had to make it work was a crappy cellphone mic…), so I gave up on the idea.

So if you have the equipment, the guys and nowadays there’s a lot of things to talk about; I’d say you’ve already won half the battle.

If I ever get the equipment and perhaps the time, I may bring back the failed “Caimán Borracho” (Drunken Gator) podcast…

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

Have a laugh that makes Mark Hammil feel inadequate. Not gonna name names or anything.

Also. Get a gimmick. Not a big one, not one that has a lot of presence, but one that people who listen to it can go, “Yeah, they’re the guys that do ‘X’ on their cast.”

0megablaster
    Participant

I appreciate all the tips you guys are giving me for this. Keep them coming ^_^

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.