America's Animation industry and the Cal-Arts infestation :x

Home Forums Off Topic America's Animation industry and the Cal-Arts infestation :x

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Katie_B Katie_B 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

Just gonna leave this here….(yes it’s from tumblr I know don’t hate me :V )
    http://fervidusinspo.tumblr.com/post/116284082444/sammywhatammy-thegooftroop-people-think-im

Not only are most of the animation jobs in American being outsourced to Korea and China, but the ones that are available in-house are dominated by Cal-Arts grads. As one of the people in this link says, if you aren’t from Cal-Arts people are probably going to overlook you.

There are really so many issues with the industry at this point, it’s kind of sickening to think about :/ I’m lucky I even HAVE a job in my field! Oh, speaking of….*runs off to work*

What are your thoughts? I know I’ve ranted about this in a bunch of other forum topics but yanno *shrug*

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Simple really: Cal-Arts is probably the only school for people that want to work on the animation industry. I’m no animator but I can be pretty sure that there isn’t a lot of places to study animation in the US right?

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

KahunaDrake
    KahunaDrake
    Participant

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you go to school for animation and in what state do you reside, Katie?

I believe it is an issue with location. For most of the entertainment industry, LA and NYC are the two major hubs you need to locate to in order to find most major acting/film/animation jobs. In the video game industry, California seems to be the most desireable place to go to pursue an education/career in games.

Interestingly, more southern states, such as North Carolina and Georgia, are providing incentives for the film/game industry to move to their states through education opportunities, tax breaks, and inexpensive cost of living compared to West Coast states/NY.
    I believe it will take some time for all companies to move SE (Insomiac Games has its main headquarters in Cali but they have a studio in Cary, NC).

Also, Cal-Arts may have a connection to big animation companies, like Disney, through past alumi, speakers, donations, etc.

Lastly, outsourcing is bull but I guess that is how our economy works for now.
    In a perfect world, all animators would have jobs and creating innovative and entertaining works of moving art.

Rabid ecstasy, 1997

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

Simple really: Cal-Arts is probably the only school for people that want to work on the animation industry. I’m no animator but I can be pretty sure that there isn’t a lot of places to study animation in the US right?

On the contrary, there are actually quite a few great animation schools here in America! One of them is my college, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. Then there’s also Savannah College of Art and Design, Ringling College of Art and Design, and also Sheridan but that’s in Ontario so it doesn’t quite count ahaha

There are also a couple more, but I have friends who went to those colleges specifically, so I know they all had great programs.

The thing with Cal Arts is it was ‘the school Disney built’, and so many good animators went there that the popularity of it has made it overshadow all the other schools that are just as great :/

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you go to school for animation and in what state do you reside, Katie?

I believe it is an issue with location. For most of the entertainment industry, LA and NYC are the two major hubs you need to locate to in order to find most major acting/film/animation jobs. In the video game industry, California seems to be the most desireable place to go to pursue an education/career in games.

Interestingly, more southern states, such as North Carolina and Georgia, are providing incentives for the film/game industry to move to their states through education opportunities, tax breaks, and inexpensive cost of living compared to West Coast states/NY.
    I believe it will take some time for all companies to move SE (Insomiac Games has its main headquarters in Cali but they have a studio in Cary, NC).

Also, Cal-Arts may have a connection to big animation companies, like Disney, through past alumi, speakers, donations, etc.

Lastly, outsourcing is bull but I guess that is how our economy works for now.
    In a perfect world, all animators would have jobs and creating innovative and entertaining works of moving art.

Yeah no problem, I post my college/location everywhere so no big deal XD I graduated from the Minneapolis College of Art and Design. And atm I’m currently residing in Minneapolis as well.

You’re correct about Cal-Arts having the connections and alums to keep it on top, but it’s ridiculous just how much that one single school is dominating the entire industry. Talent from other schools is completely overlooked because they don’t have the coveted ‘Cal-Arts badge of honor.’ And obviously you don’t NEED to go there to be a great animator, many amazing people have come from other places as well, such as the creator of Steven Universe! We just hardly ever see them :/

It’s great that other places are trying to spread the industry around a bit though, I wasn’t aware of that. And honestly there are small pockets of animation jobs here and there, even in Minneapolis there are hmmmm…I think 3 small studios. But all the work goes to Cali and NY, even if the people in other places have amazing talent too. Everyone is just stuck on the idea that those places are where you need to go to find talent, but really, talent can be found pretty much everywhere if you bother to look!

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@Katie_B Glad I was wrong then. Amazing that so many animators went to that school (Paul Ruddish?! Holy shit!) and I guess it makes some sense why it would overshadow other schools on animation since Cal-Arts does have a hands-on experience on animation with the big boys. Also, since your in animation, what kind of animated project would you hope to make when you graduate from your school?

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

@Katie_B Glad I was wrong then. Amazing that so many animators went to that school (Paul Ruddish?! Holy shit!) and I guess it makes some sense why it would overshadow other schools on animation since Cal-Arts does have a hands-on experience on animation with the big boys. Also, since your in animation, what kind of animated project would you hope to make when you graduate from your school?

Yeah, and I mean there’s nothing wrong with Cal-Arts or the people that go there, it definitely has a cool history! I just take issue with the snobbish attitude a lot of Cal-Arts people seem to have. Going to a certain school won’t automatically make you a good animator. *shurg*

Ahh, actually I graduated back in 2013 haha! ….And look what I am doing with my career, making animated intros for dorks on the internet |:P Hehehehe

But no really, my goal isn’t to join any big studio (though I would love to work for Titmouse Inc one day since I would learn a lot from them!). I just like making things on my own, I don’t need to join a big studio to tell my stories. My current goal is to revamp this project, which was my senior film in college:

I didn’t finish it because uhh….the time limit was supposed to be 1 minute and 30 seconds….and mine is waaaaaay over that |:x But that’s how long it took to tell the story, so whatevs. My focus is rough animation anyways, and pretty much all the roughs were finished so I was okay with that.

…But anyways, I am acutely aware of how most animators don’t share my goal. Not many people want to be independent, they have dreams of making shows or films for big networks and stuff. And unless they are Cal-Arts people or try and move out there on the off-chance they can actually land a job….it’s gonna be tough. It shouldn’t be so exclusive, talent is talent, doesn’t matter where you graduated from :/

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Yeah, and I mean there’s nothing wrong with Cal-Arts or the people that go there, it definitely has a cool history! I just take issue with the snobbish attitude a lot of Cal-Arts people seem to have. Going to a certain school won’t automatically make you a good animator. *shurg*

Ahh, actually I graduated back in 2013 haha! ….And look what I am doing with my career, making animated intros for dorks on the internet |:P Hehehehe

But no really, my goal isn’t to join any big studio (though I would love to work for Titmouse Inc one day since I would learn a lot from them!). I just like making things on my own, I don’t need to join a big studio to tell my stories. My current goal is to revamp this project, which was my senior film in college:

<iframe src=”https://player.vimeo.com/video/87738562″ title=”Creation: MCAD Senior Film 2013″ webkitallowfullscreen=”” mozallowfullscreen=”” allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”468″ width=”640″></iframe>

I didn’t finish it because uhh….the time limit was supposed to be 1 minute and 30 seconds….and mine is waaaaaay over that |:x But that’s how long it took to tell the story, so whatevs. My focus is rough animation anyways, and pretty much all the roughs were finished so I was okay with that.

…But anyways, I am acutely aware of how most animators don’t share my goal. Not many people want to be independent, they have dreams of making shows or films for big networks and stuff. And unless they are Cal-Arts people or try and move out there on the off-chance they can actually land a job….it’s gonna be tough. It shouldn’t be so exclusive, talent is talent, doesn’t matter where you graduated from :/

I see, it’s their shitty attitude that makes you feel off about Cal-Arts. All right, that’s understandable.

Also, that video was awesome and if you’re really gonna revive the project, make sure you have a solid animation software for this to update the designs up a notch (imagine how breathtaking this must look if you rank up the visual atmosphere) but either way, cannot wait to see what you come up for your remade version.

Katie_B
    Katie_B
    Participant

I see, it’s their shitty attitude that makes you feel off about Cal-Arts. All right, that’s understandable.

Also, that video was awesome and if you’re really gonna revive the project, make sure you have a solid animation software for this to update the designs up a notch (imagine how breathtaking this must look if you rank up the visual atmosphere) but either way, cannot wait to see what you come up for your remade version.

Erm, well no not exactly. Their attitude is the least of my worries. As I said in my first post, my problem with that school is that it is dominating the industry at this point. As you can see in the original link, all the big films from the last few years were made by Cal-Arts grads. This has lead many people to believe that going to Cal-Arts is what makes you a good animator, not hard work or talent. Many people, even the creator of Adventure Time it seems, overlook other animators unless they can say ‘yes I went to Cal-Arts!’
    Which of course, requires living in California and actually having enough money to afford the tuition. Think of all the amazing and talented people we’re NOT seeing, just because they aren’t able to do those things :/

As for my film, thanks for watching! But you don’t need any sort of special program to make a good animation. 😛 I mean hell, if I really wanted to, I could do this all by hand with paper and pencil. Again, what matters in any type of art form is talent, and you earn talent by hard work~ Having a degree from this or that school or special programs can help, sure, but unless you have the talent to /use/ those things, you won’t get anywhere at all.
    My film is 2 years old at this point tho, there’s a lot of things I want to fix and redo since I’ve improved my animation skills a lot since making it 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.