AMC Theatres are considering to allow texting during movies. NO JOKE.

Home Forums Off Topic AMC Theatres are considering to allow texting during movies. NO JOKE.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Shinra Kuroki Shinra Kuroki 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

AMC Entertainment CEO Open to Allowing Texting in Some Theaters

I think this subject has been discussed to all hell in the CCS Podcast about movie theater experiences, so there’s not a lot to talk about; but the fact that this CEO wants to allow people to text during movies and ruin the movie-watching experience to other customers is just fucking idiotic. To quote one of the comments from the link above:

The movie experience has always been about disconnecting from the world ouside and entering the another, whether that be fantasy, historic, or whatever the theme of the movie is, if “millennials” can’t understand that perhaps they need to learn this simple fact: we don’t want the ouside world in the theaters that’s not the point of the cinematic experience. I agree with one of the comments about service; which is the totall lack and disregard of excellent service and the outragous prices of the concessions is what deter people from going, not to mention the fact that most people stream things at home, but the truth of the matter is, you can’t beat experiencing it on the big screen. If you want people to go, improve service, make it an event and lower the concession prices and more people will go. Are we really that dense that we cannot live without our phones for two hours. Why are we helping the ignorance of this “millennials”, and oh. I myself happen to be a millennial.

How is it that the people who are never heard of have the bright ideas while the ones at the top are the ones with the dumbest ideas?

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Would appealing to millennials involve allowing texting or cellphone use?

Yes. When you tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone, don’t ruin the movie, they hear please cut off your left arm above the elbow. You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That’s not how they live their life.

At the same time, though, we’re going to have to figure out a way to do it that doesn’t disturb today’s audiences. There’s a reason there are ads up there saying turn off your phone, because today’s moviegoer doesn’t want somebody sitting next to them texting or having their phone on.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Shinra Kuroki
    Shinra Kuroki
    Participant

Maybe our reactions right here is the true intention of AMC statement. AMC frames it as “Courting millennials” so that people already hate it. AMC acting like it might allow cell phone use during a movie brings us sensible people together to hate on people who do use their cell during a movie. It ingrains the use of a cell phone in a theater as against social mores & norms, making social pressure & peer pressure the primary inhibitor of said action. Not only do they get less people doing it, they reinforce the idea that it goes against our social contract. This will inevitably lead to people making a bigger fuss about it when it does happen. Best of all, AMC cannot be held culpable should anyone take this too far. It seems to just be reverse psychology to me.

"Now, I’ve forgiven the world and myself, too. I teach myself to smile again. One day I’ll get there, I know I will. Even if it takes me not nine, but nine hundred lives." -Susan Ashworth from The Cat Lady

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.