2016 is a shitbowl for cinema. …and it will continue to be.

Home Forums Off Topic 2016 is a shitbowl for cinema. …and it will continue to be.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mr.K Mr.K 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

So there’s been lately a lot of new film trailers coming out of Comic-Con, and while we’re certainly excited to what new ideas Hollywood is giving out, I’m thoroughly annoyed, boresome and sick of all new movies coming up WHICH INCLUDE:

-ANOTHER reboot of King Kong, which looks more like “Generic Vietnam/Jungle Warzone Film #2445” clearly only made for that 2017 Godzilla/King Kong film.
    -ANOTHER reboot of a forgotten classic, The Blair Witch Project (Hell, if reboots aren’t shitty enough, we might as well add the overused found-footage genre…)
    -ANOTHER dark, gritty, obscure, testosterone-filled, CGI-ridden re-telling of a fantastic heroe; now being King Arthur displayed in a Fight Club-esque form.

So, besides having the make-your-fucking-mind-what’s-your-tone Suicide Squad, the upcoming JLA movie (which I have 0 faith in thanks to god-forbid-not-wasting-good-comic-books-so-fucking-early and hailing from shithouse design land), the most aberrant insult to 2 american icons presented in a 30 minute long WWE fight, the Doctor Strange film being directed by a horrible director and the most unfunny piece of garbage ever made in history used as front for SJW and Feminazi ideology, hypocrisy and outright cash-grab; I’d say that this year was a pretty disastrous time for cinema. Barely a few gems out there that can be picked up.

On the other hand though, there are a few good quality films we’ve received this year. Civil War which passed the test of being a good film without being a very loyal adaptation, we got a kick-ass film for our beloved merc with a mouth, a pretty good childrens movie about a world inhabited by animals, a spectacular sequel to one of Pixar’s best works and there’s a couple movies that I can look forward to. There’s the new Harry Potter film coming out (I’m going to let my inner fanboy have his 5 minute eyaculation here) and the Rogue One film.

So, what do you think? Was 2016 a pretty shitty year or is there something to make it worth?

"The universe is one big joke, and the joke is on us"

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

Oh right, I forgot. We’ve also got ANOTHER remake/reboot of Ben Hur. Fucking beautiful.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

2016 for movies is further proof that Hollywood is really out of touch with society cause of their decisions to greenlight or cancel projects because “they feel” like it and it epitomizes how audiences will eat anything up cause these days, Hollywood is making movies based off on trends or cashing in on nostalgic brands for the sake of manipulating our emotions to our favorite movies and I went through hell to find some really good movies but there’s so little good that I’m starting to realize just how uninspired a lot of the movies are coming out. In case of the big reveals at SDCC, here’s my thoughts on it:

KONG: Skull Island = I’m gonna be honest and say that I really love the Godzilla 2014 movie cause it brought back the element of subtlety back into the blockbuster genre rather than shoving explosions and stereotypes into a Godzilla movie (looking at you, Bay) and with this one, it seems like they’re are repeating the Godzilla 2014 style but with King Kong and while I’m curious to see how this goes, it does look generic in terms of visual style and character wise cause really, why the hell do we have Samuel Jackson in this? Was it necessary? Also, Kong looks like a giant hairy man with a gorilla face… Ok.

Blair Witch: This movie made me struggle to think whenever or not to see it cause on one hand, you got 2 very talented filmmakers Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett (You’re Next and The Guest, which I highly recommend you to watch it!) tackling the movie that may give me hope on how the film could subvert the found footage tropes but the problem is the fact that this movie is the development hell sequel Blair Witch 3 that Lionsgate was desperately trying to reboot for decades and this movie would just end up as a overhyped horror movie that critics and audiences will suck their dicks to the theaters cause “it’s scawy!” (Here’s a review for the new Blair Witch movie by Mr.Disgusting and you’ll see what I mean)

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword = This is all I can say about the film or it’s just Guy Ritchie making Dark Souls The Movie with King Arthur in it:

Honestly, the video just sums up my feelings towards these upcoming movies: Either they want to be gritty for the sake of it or have shitty movies get critical acclaim by critics who love to ass kiss big major studios for the attention (Cinderella, Zootopia,Jungle Book, Ghostbusters, Civil War and the recent Blair Witch are proof of this) while original movies keep getting made by people who have good ideas but have awful execution or filmmakers using original ideas to turn them into soulless money making franchises (Jason Blum). Hell, Doctor Strange looks to be the most lifeless movie since The Hunstman: Winter Wars but it’s getting massive hype cause of Robert Cargill (AKA Caryle from Spill.com) who’s writing the script with Scott Derrickson and animation films have been either overrated or just downright forgettable with Secret Life of Pets, an original film that rips off Toy Story but with cats & dogs, made more money than any other animated film out there. Movies like Kubo, Sausage Party, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, Rouge One and a few others are the only thing worth watching this year while the only true gems of 2016 were Deadpool and Hardcore Henry.

There’s more films to see but 2016 will go down as a terrible year for movies since 2013.

"The world is merciless and it's also very beautiful."

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Oh right, I forgot. We’ve also got ANOTHER remake/reboot of Ben Hur. Fucking beautiful.

This facepalm of a remake?

Wanna know something ironic about this remake? This is directed by the guy who made Wanted (Timur Bekmambetov) and written by the writer who wrote my favorite film 12 Years A Slave but here’s the catch: This remake of Ben-Hur has been in development for ages and even John Ridley admits that tackling the remake was a nightmare to write on and wants to do his damnest to make a good adaptation of Ben-Hur despite the studios (MGM and Paramount) only hiring Ridley cause of his success of 12 Years Of Slave.

“It’s going to be different in the sense that the original writer Keith Clarke wrote an amazing script and then went back to the Lew Wallace novel and really excavated the relationship between the two main characters, Ben-Hur and Messala. It’s interesting to a degree. It’s kind of like going after Jimi Hendrix, because there are things about the 1959 movie that we think we remember, there are things that really happened, including obviously the chariot race, so it’s going to be different in the sense that were’s not really trying to completely chase the movie people remember but there are elements of that movie: the heart of the film, the emotional drive of the film that we want to try to bring to a whole new audience. I think it’s an interesting project. It’s certainly challenging. It’s certainly one that people are going to come into with expectations, but like anything you do, you gotta exceed those expectations to a degree and also not worry about them because at its core, we hope and believe that we’’ve got something that’s unique.”

—John Ridley

I do admit the adaptation for using less CG while using more practical effects including for the chariot race but the movie looks really bland and it’s just doesn’t look interesting.

Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant

Honestly, the video just sums up my feelings towards these upcoming movies: Either they want to be gritty for the sake of it or have shitty movies get critical acclaim by critics who love to ass kiss big major studios for the attention (Cinderella, Zootopia,Jungle Book, Ghostbusters, Civil War and the recent Blair Witch are proof of this) while original movies keep getting made by people who have good ideas but have awful execution or filmmakers using original ideas to turn them into soulless money making franchises (Jason Blum). Hell, Doctor Strange looks to be the most lifeless movie since The Hunstman: Winter Wars but it’s getting massive hype cause of Robert Cargill (AKA Caryle from Spill.com) who’s writing the script with Scott Derrickson and animation films have been either overrated or just downright forgettable with Secret Life of Pets, an original film that rips off Toy Story but with cats & dogs, made more money than any other animated film out there. Movies like Kubo, Sausage Party, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them, Rouge One and a few others are the only thing worth watching this year while the only true gems of 2016 were Deadpool and Hardcore Henry.

There’s more films to see but 2016 will go down as a terrible year for movies since 2013.

Daria’s speech absolutely rings true for me. Ben-Hur? Why?

You can’t recreate that!

Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant

So there’s been lately a lot of new film trailers coming out of Comic-Con, and while we’re certainly excited to what new ideas Hollywood is giving out, I’m thoroughly annoyed, boresome and sick of all new movies coming up WHICH INCLUDE:

-ANOTHER reboot of King Kong, which looks more like “Generic Vietnam/Jungle Warzone Film #2445” clearly only made for that 2017 Godzilla/King Kong film.
    -ANOTHER reboot of a forgotten classic, The Blair Witch Project (Hell, if reboots aren’t shitty enough, we might as well add the overused found-footage genre…)
    -ANOTHER dark, gritty, obscure, testosterone-filled, CGI-ridden re-telling of a fantastic heroe; now being King Arthur displayed in a Fight Club-esque form.

Kong? Wasn’t that that just remade by Peter Jackson a decade ago? Anyhow there are more upcoming movies that are proof of Hollywood’s lack of vision.

A Magnificent 7 remake featuring Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt and explosions. What’s the reason for remaking Magnificent Seven, the original is a classic that was done perfectly and not to mention is an American remake of a Japanese cinematic masterpiece, The Seven Samurai.

Next is a remake of Pete’s Dragon, which should be titled Tarzan Junior’s Creature. Actually it should be Tarzan Junior’s Green-furred and Winged Indominus rex, because Richard Cunningham’s daughter is in it.

There’s going to be a dark and gritty reboot of a Power Rangers movie. I’m not making this up.

There’s going to be a novie adaptation of Steve Alten’s book Meg. I’ve been looking forward for a Meg movie for a long time now and now I’m like you’re twenty years too late.

There’s also going to be a Scooby-Doo reboot called S.C.O.O.B. which is suppose to launch the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe. ???

And there’s a sequel called Mary Poppins Returns. Wow, I’m sorry to say this, but Hollywood and the film industry has become a joke now.

Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant
    Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@ninety-three Oh yeah, the Power Rangers reboot written by 6 writers apparently but the reboot will use the script that was written by the duo who wrote Gods of Egypt… How lovely…

V-Tundra
    V-Tundra
    Participant

There’s also going to be a Scooby-Doo reboot called S.C.O.O.B. which is suppose to launch the Hanna-Barbera Cinematic Universe. ???

This honestly isn’t a surprise to me. I think Scooby-Doo is the series with most remakes/reboots ever made. Out of all of them, there’s only 2 that I thoroughly enjoy: the originals because it’s the only thing I used to watch before going to Kindergarten, and “What’s new, Scooby-Doo?” which I think is a decent evolution of the original series. That and the intro song kicks ass.

In all honesty, how many of you are willing to bet that the new Power Rangers film will be 20% Power Rangers and 80% explosions, tanks, gunshots, soldiers screaming random military jargon and “Mr. President, we’re fucked”.? Which is sort of the same problem I had with the 2014 Godzilla film, I think Godzilla deserved more screentime. Despite that, I thought it was good, because THIS was Godzilla; and I think the main reason why the film was received very well amongst the Godzilla community was because the last movie was a stinking pile of dino-shit.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Which is sort of the same problem I had with the 2014 Godzilla film, I think Godzilla deserved more screentime. Despite that, I thought it was good, because THIS was Godzilla; and I think the main reason why the film was received very well amongst the Godzilla community was because the last movie was a stinking pile of dino-shit.

Not to mention, it brought back the subtlety element that we got in the original Godzilla film (which is a rarity) and I didn’t mind Godzilla having little screen time cause if they did showed Godzilla too many times by making repetitive explosive monster battles, it would have been Transformers levels of awful.

Jake_L
    Jake_L
    Participant

Maybe it’s a lack of taste—or maybe the opposite of taste—but I love everything about KONG teaser. Anytime Samuel L. “Motherfucker” Jackson or John Goodman are on screen I’m interested, but I shit to the moon when BOTH OF THEM turned up in the same two minutes. I really love the harsh, chiaroscuro lighting and the desaturated colors to emphasize the creature-feature horror element.

Not really anything to say about the crew behind it, the director’s only got a few projects under his belt so it could go either way. The fucking screenplay team is Goddamn GODLIKE—John Gatins is the guy Legendary’s got penning the Godzilla sequel and co-wrote the 2012 film, Derek Connelly did great work on Saftey Not Guaranteed and the flawed-but-watchable Jurassic World, and there’s only one word I have to pass on Dan Gilroy: Nightcrawler—so the script should be at the very least component (compared to that OTHER reboot that came out recently).

But I get where you’re coming from: Hollywood’s churning out reboots and remakes to milk a built in fanbase. It’s scummy and shows for no creative input, but movies are a business and businesses live and die by the money in our wallets. Vote with your money.

Ninety-Three
    Ninety-Three
    Participant

Looks like Suicide Squad is a failure.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

@ninety-three YMS already knew it was gonna suck ass.

Mr.K
    Mr.K
    Participant

Also, Paramount… YOU DONE FUCKED IT UP!

http://movieweb.com/paramount-pictures-box-office-bombs-2016-2017/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.